Class Projects on Qatar World Cup from the University of Virginia

By | December 6, 2022

I have now moved to the University of Virginia, where I taught Soccer Politics for the first time this Fall. We delighted in the fact that the World Cup actually happened during the class, and have been watching over the past weeks.

Students in the class developed projects focused on the Qatar World Cup, which you can find here (will be posting a few more as they come on line in the next days). Enjoy! Feel free to share responses and comments below if you’d like.

Brazil’s 2022 Presidential Election, Evangelism, and the 2022 Qatar World Cup, by Mary-Dryden Maio, Gabrielle Mashkouri, Anna Rosenfeld, & Anthony Tran

Bringing England to the World Cup: A Story of Three Players, by Peter Layne, Jack Lesemann & Spencer Pierce

The Group of Death, by Nicholas Wells

Iran in the 2022 World Cup, by Chloe Chiesa, Libby Terrell, & William Woodford

Messi vs. Ronaldo, by Vedat Dilek & Akaela Feng

UVA Students and the World Cup, Olivia Fergerstrom, Samarth Saksena, Carter Smith, Cameron Weisfeld

Sportwashing in the Qatar 2022 World Cup, by Peyton Burda, Caroline Connor & Birgitta Taylor-Lillquist

The Transformation of Qatar, by Brandon Caramis, Yehya Elnagdy, Leo Howerdd & Joe Purvis

Who Makes the Call? Exploring Referees at the 2022 World Cup, by Avery Bowers & Matthew Docalivich

World Cup Betting Guide, by Malcolm Brickhouse and Bennett Ross

About Laurent Dubois

I am Professor of Romance Studies and History and the Director of the Forum for Scholars & Publics at Duke University. I founded the Soccer Politics blog in 2009 as part of a course on "World Cup and World Politics" taught at Duke University. I'm currently teaching the course under the title "Soccer Politics" here at Duke. My books include Soccer Empire: The World Cup and the Future of France (University of California Press, 2010) and The Language of the Game: How to Understand Soccer (Basic Books, 2018)

One thought on “Class Projects on Qatar World Cup from the University of Virginia

1. Richard Dodgson

Dear Laurent
    My name is Richard Dodgson, I am a lecturer in the Department of Politics at Newcastle University. I am in the process of planning and preparing a module on the political economy of football. I stumbled across this blog and I just wanted to say ‘hello’. I am very much in the early stages of planning and preparing for my module, it won’t run until September 2024 at the earliest, but I would appreciate any thoughts you have on teaching a module about football and politics, what to include and any key texts etc.
    Best wishes
    Richard
    richard.dodgson@newcastle.ac.uk

Reply