…and the Giants WIN!

Brendan Quinlan/ June 4, 2013/ 2013

giantsWIN2

It was a beautiful day to be at the ballpark. The Saturday before last, DSV traveled to AT&T Park in the heart of San Francisco to watch the San Francisco Giants take on the Colorado Rockies, the second game in a three-game series.  We left the apartment complex early that morning (for college kids, that means 11), walking first to the nearby CalTrain station. From there, we made the hour and a half commute to the city.  Most of the students, included myself, booked it to the concession stands upon arrival in an attempt to grab as much food as physically possible before the game started. I had been told that the stadium food was good. I did not know it was THIS good. Normally I exercise moderation when I spend money on food. Yet, on Saturday, I had no problem dishing out $8 for a bacon-wrapped hot dog, another$8 for an order of Gilroy’s garlic fries, not to mention another $10 for an order of loaded nachos. The only thing I regret is not having enough room in my stomach to try the bread bowl clam chowder.

To put it simply: The weather was beautiful. The food was outrageous. Nothing makes me happier.

However, no matter how much love I give the food, the game itself was the highlight of the afternoon. After trailing most of the game 0-4, the Giants made a late-afternoon comeback that brought the game to extra innings. In the top of the 10th, the Rockies’ Troy Tulowitski hit a solo homer, giving Colorado a 5-4 lead. I won’t speak for the other DSV students but I thought the game was over. To my surprise, the Giants were not done yet. Just like that, the Giants’ Angel Pagan came up to bat and hit a two-run inside-the-park home run to win the game. Because words cannot describe how exciting the final inning of this game was, I have linked a video of the final play below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5glBCWtxwQ

The game we witnessed was far from ordinary. In fact, the last time a game ended with a player hitting an inside-the-park home run was 2004, when Tampa Bay also surprised the Rockies. After witnessing a game like that, it’s hard not to become a fan. Since Saturday, several of the DSV students have committed themselves to Giants “fandom” and I do not blame them. It is by far the most exciting baseball game I have ever witnessed.

A HUGE special thanks to Amy and Kimberly for hooking us up with tickets to the game! We couldn’t have asked for a better afternoon. 

Connor Gordon, Duke University 2015

—————————————————————————————————

giantsWIN

Giants’ Angel Pagan squeaks by Rockies’ catcher, Wilin Rosario, in the bottom of the 10th for the game-winning run. The crowd went … well, wild.

—————————————————————————————————

giantsWIN3

DSV Students before the insanity that was the 10th Inning.

—————————————————————————————————

Share this Post