BLUF: Alcohol at Fuqua strictly follows the NC State laws. Under no circumstances will students be permitted to bring their own alcohol into the building. If this policy is violated, Fuqua could possibly become a dry campus. If you have any questions about this policy please contact the The Office of Student Life.
Any and all alcohol ordered, purchased or consumed in the Fox Student Center or anywhere else on the grounds of The Fuqua School of Business, falls under the ABC license of Bon Appétit. It is the responsibility of all students, faculty and staff to ensure that all North Carolina ABC laws and service standards are followed when planning any kind of event that will involve alcohol service or consumption.
Some of the ABC laws and service standards to consider include the following:
- There are no BYOB/Bring Your Own (alcoholic) Beverages at Fuqua.
- All alcoholic beverage orders for events have to be coordinated and served through Bon Appétit (no cash bar allowed).
- All beer and wine must be purchased through the ABC license of Bon Appétit.
- Alcoholic beverages may be donated, but they must be delivered directly to the caterer for serving. If the event has only beer & wine being served and is nonprofit, there is no permit needed (food must be provided).
- Please provide 7 days advance notice if you plan to order and/or donate alcoholic beverages. Specialty beverages require additional advance notice.
- All events where alcoholic beverages are served require staff for bartending. Some events may require additional security/I.D. checker staff. The number of staff required varies by group size and event duration. The group placing the order will be responsible for staff costs.
- Food must be present when alcohol is being served. If food is provided by an external vendor and runs out, Bon Appetit will stop alcohol service 15 minutes after food is no longer available.
- Any kegs or special ordered alcoholic beverages that are not fully consumed must remain on the premises. It is very important to order wisely when planning an event.
- All alcoholic beverages must be consumed within the area that has been reserved for the function or event.
- Service is limited to one alcoholic beverage per person at a time.
- Service of alcoholic beverages to an individual can be refused at Bon Appétit's discretion.
- If liquor drinks are requested, contact Bon Appétit. They will be able to help coordinate with a third party vendor to provide this service.
There are additional standards and restrictions that apply which necessitate that everyone work directly with Bon Appétit regarding alcohol service or consumption of any kind at The Fuqua School of Business. See the Catering Policy below for contacts.
If you are planning an event that involves alcohol served on or off of Fuqua's campus, please reference the Travel and Risk Management page of the Fuqua411 for more information on how to manage risk and mitigate your personal liability.
BLUF: The only approved caterer at Fuqua is Bon Appetit. Prior approval to use any outside vendors is needed when costs are greater than $750.
All events held at the Fuqua School of Business shall be catered by Bon Appétit Cafe. Exceptions are:
- Events where charges are less than $750, or
- Bon Appétit has declined the opportunity due to schedule or overload constraints, or
- Use of an outside caterer has been approved by the Associate Dean for Finance.
Requests for Catering Services shall be submitted to Bon Appétit no later than two weeks prior to the event.
The contacts for Bon Appetit Catering are below.
Bon Appétit Catering
- Licelys Hamman, General Manager
- The reason for the request.
- Detailed menu with quantities, number of attendees and descriptions of services and extras.
- A written quotation from the preferred caterer.
- A copy of a current certificate of liability insurance (if not already an approved Duke caterer; full list available here)
- Inform the BMO so extra trash and recycling containers may be placed in the area where food is being served. If the event happens on a weekend, the BMO will determine the number of housekeepers needed and advise of cost. Housekeeping will re-set the room after the event.
- Whenever using outside caterers, or when catering orders are dropped off, food service clean-up is the responsibility of the caterer or ordering individual. This means trash should be in the trash can, and recycling should be in the recycling bin – Housekeeping will take it from there.
In cases where a request has been submitted and Bon Appétit declines the event, or if the event sponsor feels that Bon Appétit is not the best provider, then a written request for an alternate caterer must be received by the Associate Dean for Finance, Chris Shull at least 3 weeks prior to the event and include:
If approved, the outside catering company must provide event staff to ensure food is kept at the correct temperature for the duration the food is present at the event.
The event sponsor also has the following responsibilities when using an outside caterer:
Contact the BMO if you are considering a food truck for your event. Having a food truck at Fuqua can be arranged but only under specific guidelines. The primary dimensions for the guidelines are:
Specifications for time of day/day of week – We cannot bring trucks in at a time that competes with Bon Appetit (BA) food service. With that, food trucks generally cannot be brought in for lunch unless it is a weekend or during break when BA isn’t providing food.
Specifications for where trucks can park – The circle out front is a fire lane so we have not been able to use that for multiple food trucks. There are also limitations on power sources for trucks requiring electrical hook ups; Food trucks must run solely on their own power source and cannot tap into the Fuqua electrical network.
For all questions related to hosting an event with food trucks, please reach out to the BMO prior to booking the event with the vendor.
The MarketPlace Bar, Club Room, and Dining Terrace at the JB Duke are great options for your club to host happy hours or small networking receptions. The MarketPlace Bar typically closes to the public at 3pm, so it is often available for private events in the afternoons and evenings. The adjacent Club Room is furnished with a pool table, a ping pong table, and a drop-down screen for private viewing parties. On the outdoor Dining Terrace, a bocce court and cornhole boards are available at no additional cost.
A few notes on using the JB Duke for a happy hour:
- A 30% discount will be applied to all food and non-alcoholic beverages. NOTE: NC law does not allow discounts on adult beverages. When booking your event, specify that you are with The Fuqua School of Business to ensure you receive the 30% discount.
- If you anticipate the total cost being over $500, be sure to seek approval from either the Co-presidents or Treasurer in the MBAA. You must provide an itemized receipt, along with the final credit card receipt for reimbursement.
- The JBD will apply a 19% service charge for all discounted checks, and parties of six or more. The entire service charge goes to the servers. This means you do NOT need to add any extra gratuity when you sign the receipt.
- Student groups benefit from Duke’s sales tax exemption. Although the JB Duke cannot accept a Duke fund code, direct billing is an option. Request an invoice from the JB Duke for events booked ahead of time. Fuqua accounting will pay the invoice through your club’s fund code to receive the break on sales tax.
- No audio-visual fee will be charged for the dropdown screen and projector in the Club Room. If your event requires additional audio-visual equipment, a 30% discount will apply.
For events planned more than 30 days in advance, or for more than 50 guests, contact Sales & Catering at email@example.com or 919-490-0999, extension 6343. Discounting is not provided on catered events or meeting packages.
As an added incentive for short-term bookings, within 30 days of your event, you are entitled to receive the following additional benefits:
- No room rental fee will be charged with a minimum purchase of $1,000 in food and beverage (after discount, excluding tax and service charge).
- No bartender fee will be charged when you utilize the existing MarketPlace Bar for your event. (Satellite bars in other areas will incur a nominal fee to cover additional set-up and labor expenses.)
The JB Duke handles all reservations within 30 days, or for more than 50 guest, on a first-come-first-serve basis. To check availability, contact Rètta Bradford, at (919) 419-2556 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to food safety concerns, homemade food cannot be served at official Fuqua events. All food served at an official Fuqua event must be provided by Bon Appetit or a licensed and approved outside caterer. In this instance, an official Fuqua event is defined by the below criteria:
- Hosted or held on Fuqua's campus or the JB Duke.
- Organized by an officially recognized Fuqua entity, including administrative departments, the MBAA, student clubs or organizations, and student sections. Conferences, symposia, Global Week events, workshops, seminars, cultural events, etc. would all fit these criteria.
For questions about this policy, please contact the The Office of Student Life.