The Fuqua experience is designed to be transformational. Experiencing stress and overcoming challenges or occasional failures may come as part of a transformational experience. Learning to bounce back and build resiliency will serve you well during your time at Fuqua and throughout your career. During this process, it’s important to stay true to yourself and carve out time to care for your physical and mental wellbeing.
Below are some resources and services to support your health and wellness at Fuqua. Additionally, we’ve included a link to a blog written by an alum about how learning to deal with failure and build resiliency were huge parts of her development as a leader at Fuqua. You will also find some TedTalks that focus on some of the common challenges students may face.
You are not going through this journey alone. Team Fuqua – your fellow students, faculty, and staff – is here to help, so please reach out should you feel you need support.
DUKE HEALTH AND WELLNESS RESOURCES:
- CAPS – Counseling and Psychological Services
- Exercise Facilities and Clubs
- Health Insurance
- Should you have specific questions about the Student Medical Insurance Plan, coverage, or claims, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (919) 684-1000.
- Please note, all students are required to have insurance. International students are required to have the Duke Student Medical Insurance Plan. All Duke students must have the Duke Student Medical Insurance Plan OR have applied for and received a waiver that indicates you have comparable coverage through another vendor.
- Nutrition Services
- Student Health Services
- Student Wellness Center
- The Duke Student Wellness Center houses CAPS, DukeReach, Student Health Services, DuWell, Nutrition Services, and a number of other services and resources. Students can also fill and pick up prescriptions at the on-site pharmacy. Other things to check out: a meditation garden and the Oasis at Campus Center. The building was purposefully designed to create a positive physical environment that is both inviting and reflective of Duke’s wellness mission. The Student Wellness Center is at 305 Towerview Road, next to Penn Pavilion.
DUKE SAFETY RESOURCES:
- Duke Emergency
- Duke Occupational and Environmental Safety Office
- Duke Police
- DukeReach – Reporting resource for if you have a concern about another student’s behavior or health.
- Duke Van Services
- Durham Police
- Gender Violence Resources (see more on the Fuqua411 here and here)
- Harassment Policy and Prevention (see more on the Fuqua411 here and here)
- COLE Fellows: SY Fuqua students assigned to FY teams that provide valuable insight and perspective. Sometimes just talking about things with your SYs can really help.
- CMC Counselors: Provide counseling and support to help you with the overall career process.
- MBAA Health and Wellness: Organize and facilitate many health and wellness program initiatives to help students.
- Student Life Staff: the Office of Student Life team is happy to talk with you and help you manage what can sometimes be a challenging time. Connect with Student Life if you are experiencing personal or academic obstacles.
The Graduate and Professional Student Council of Duke University is the umbrella student government organization for Duke’s nine graduate and professional schools. They provide a number of resources Fuqua students may find useful, including:
- GPSC Emergency Travel Fund: grant fund that awards recipients with $200 to apply toward emergency travel. More information on eligibility requirements and the timeline to apply can be found at the link.
ADDITIONAL INSIGHTS AND RESOURCES:
- 8 Dimensions of Wellness
- Staying Connected While Virtual – Blog from Fuqua
- Balancing Relationships During Your MBA – Student Blog
- Failure & Resiliency – Blog from alumni (Class of 2014)
- Being overwhelmed in your FY at B-School – Blog from former student
Resources for common challenges our students face:
- How to Stay Calm When You Know You’ll Be Stressed
- A Kinder, Gentler Philosophy of Success
- How to Build Your Creative Confidence
- Power of Emotional Courage
- The Power of Vulnerability
If you, or a fellow Fuquan that you know, have any questions or concerns about health, wellness or safety, please contact Student Life.