(with Aslı Cansunar) “Economic Harbingers of Political Modernization: Peaceful Explosion of Rights in Ottoman Istanbul, 1600-1839” (Economic Research Initiatives at Duke Working Paper, SSRN, August 9, 2019).
“Zakat: Islam’s Missed Opportunity to Limit Predatory Taxation.” Public Choice, 2019, (online, 10 May 2019: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11127-019-00663-x).
Article in English: “Islam and Economic Performance: Historical and Contemporary Links.” Journal of Economic Literature, 56 (December 2018): 1292-1359.
Turkish translation (by Cemal Balcı): İslam ve Ekonomik Azgelişmişlik: Tarihsel ve Çağdaş Bağlantılar (Istanbul: Efil Yayınevi, 2019 (in press)).
Religious Freedom Project discussion on “The Economic and Political Effects of Restrictions on Religion” moderated by Daniel Philpott. Participants: Timur Kuran and Abdullah Saeed, December 15, 2014.
“Religious Freedom Promotes Economic Development.” Cornerstone, April 28, 2014 .
with Jerry Oster: “A Challenging Exploration of Islam and Economics“.
Excerpt from Islam and Mammon: Milken Institute Review, 6:3 (2004): 61-81.
Islam and Mammon: The Economic Predicaments of Islamism (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2004), xviii + 194 pp.
- Arabic translation: Al-Islam wal-Thara’al-Fahish: Ma’zaq al-Iqtisad al-Islami (Amman: al-Ahliyya, 2012).
- South Asian edition (New Delhi: Tulika Press, 2006).
- Turkish translation: İslâm’ın Ekonomik Yüzleri, by Yasemin Tezgiden, with an original introduction (Istanbul: İletişim, 2002), 303 pp.
“The discontents of Islamic economic morality,” American Economic Review, 86 (May 1996): 438-442.
“Religious Economics and the Economics of Religion,” Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 149 (December 1994): 769-775.
“Fundamentalisms and the Economy,” in M. Marty and S. Appleby (eds.), Fundamentalisms and the State: Remaking Polities, Economies, and Militance (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1993): 289-301.
- Chinese translation: in press .
“The Economic Impact of Islamic Fundamentalism,” in M. Marty and S. Appleby (eds.), Fundamentalisms and the State: Remaking Polities, Economies, and Militance (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1993): 302-341.
- Turkish translation (by Yasemin Tezgiden): “İslâmî Köktenciliğin Ekonomik Etkileri,” in Timur Kuran, İslâm’ın Ekonomik Yüzleri (İstanbul: İletişim, 2002): 13-71.