Review of Mohsin S. Khan and Abbas Mirakhor (eds.), Theoretical Studies in Islamic Banking and Finance (Houston: Institute of Research in Islamic Studies, 1987), in Journal of Comparative Economics, 13 (September 1989): 486-489.
(with Mongi Azabou and Mustapha Nabli) “The Wholesale Produce Market of Tunis and Its Porters: A Tale of Market Degeneration,” in Mustapha Nabli and Jeffrey Nugent (eds.), The New Institutional Economics and Development: Theory and Applications to Tunisia (Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1989): 352-374. Abstract
“The Craft Guilds of Tunis and Their Amins: A Study in Institutional Atrophy,” in Mustapha Nabli and Jeffrey Nugent, (eds.), The New Institutional Economics and Development: Theory and Applications to Tunisia (Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1989): 236-264.
“On the notion of economic justice in contemporary Islamic thought,” International Journal of Middle East Studies, 21 (May 1989): 171-191. Abstract
- Turkish translation (by Yasemin Tezgiden): “Çağdaş İslâm Düşününde Ekonomik Adalet Kavramı Üzerine,” in Timur Kuran, İslâm’ın Ekonomik Yüzleri (İstanbul: İletişim, 2002): 181-210.
- Slight revision: Islamic Economic Alternatives: Critical Perspectives and New Directions, ed. Jomo K. S. (ed.), (London: Macmillan Academic Press, 1992): 49-76.
- Slight revision: The Economic Dimensions of Middle Eastern History, ed. H. Esfandiari and A. Udovitch (Princeton: Darwin Press, 1990): 93- 121.
“Sparks and Prairie Fires: A Theory of Unanticipated Political Revolution ,” Public Choice, 61 (April 1989): 41-74. Abstract
- Reprint in Ulrich Witt (ed.), Evolutionary Economics (Aldershot: Edward Elgar, 1993): 273-306.
Review of Gerald Meier (ed.), Pioneers in Development: Second Series (London: Oxford University Press, 1987), in Journal of Economic Literature, 26 (December 1988): 1753-1755.
“The Tenacious Past: Theories of Personal and Collective Conservatism,” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization , 10 (September 1988): 143-171.
Review of Tibor Scitovsky, Human Desire and Economic Satisfaction (New York: New York University Press, 1986), in Journal of Economic Literature, 25 (December 1987): 1852-1854.
“Continuity and Change in Islamic Economic Thought,” in S. Todd Lowry (ed.),Pre- Classical Political Economy: From the Greeks to the Scottish Enlightenment(Boston: Kluwer Nijhoff, 1987): 103-113.
“Chameleon Voters and Public Choice,” Public Choice, 53 (1987): 53-78. Abstract
Review of Reuven Brenner, Betting on Ideas: Wars, Invention, Inflation (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1985), in Journal of Economic Literature, 24 (December 1986): 1802-1804.
Review of Moshe Syrquin, Lance Taylor, and Larry Westphal (eds.), Economic Structure and Performance (New York: Academic Press, 1984), in Journal of Economic Literature, 24 (June 1986): 687-688.
“Price Adjustment Costs, Anticipated Inflation, and Output,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, 101 (May 1986): 407-418. Abstract.
“The Economic System in Contemporary Islamic Thought: Interpretation and Assessment,” International Journal of Middle East Studies, 18 (May 1986): 135- 164. Abstract
- Reprint: The Political Economy of the Middle East, vol. 3, ed. Timothy Niblock and R. J. A. Wilson (Cheltenham, U.K.: Edward J. Elgar, 1998), forthcoming.
- Slight revision: Islamic Economic Alternatives: Critical Perspectives and New Directions, ed. Jomo K. S. (London: Macmillan Academic Press, 1992): 9-47.
“Anticipated Inflation and Aggregate Employment: The Case of Costly Price Adjustment,” Economic Inquiry, 24 (April 1986): 293-311. Abstract.