“Another Road to Serfdom: Cascading Intolerance,” in Can It Happen Here? Authoritarianism in America, ed. Cass R. Sunstein (New York: Dey Street Books, 2018).
(with Diego Romero) “The Logic of Revolutions: Rational Choice Perspectives.” Oxford Handbook of Public Choice: forthcoming 2017.
“You Can’t Keep a Lid on Discontent Forever.” Cato Unbound, March 16, 2016.
“The Authenticity Deficit in Modern Politics.” Cato Unbound, March 7, 2016.
with Denis Volkov, “An Atmosphere of Repression Leads to Preference Falsification among Opinion Leaders,” Institute of Modern Russia, 14 October 2015.
with Metin Under, “Arap Baharı’nın Sonrası.” Optimist, Mayıs 2013, 26-29.
“The Politics of Revolutionary Surprise,” Project Syndicate, February 2, 2011.
- Arabic translation: سياسة المفاجأة الثورية
- Chinese translation: 突发革命背后的政治
- French translation: La politique de surprise révolutionnaire
- German translation: Politik der revolutionären Überraschungen
- Russian translation: Политика революционного сюрприза
- Spanish translation: La política de la sorpresa revolucionaria
with Aaron Steelman: “Research Past and Present.” Region Focus, Journal of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, 13 (Summer 2009): 28-32.
“Ethnic Norms and Their Transformation through Reputational Cascades ,” Journal of Legal Studies, 27 (Summer 1998, pt. 2): 623-59. Abstract
“The Inevitability of Future Revolutionary Surprises ,” American Journal of Sociology, 100 (May 1995): 1528-51. Abstract
Private Truths, Public Lies: The Social Consequences of Preference Falsification (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1995), xv + 423 pp.
- Russian translation (by Irina Soboleva), with an additional preface: in press, 2016.
- Chinese translation (by Ding Zhen Huan and Ou Yang Wu): Pian Hao Wei Zhuang De She Hui Huo Guo (Changchun: Changchun Publishing House, 2005), 287 pp.
- Turkish translation (by Alp Tümertekin), with an additional preface: Yalanla Yaşamak: Tercih Çarpıtmasının Toplumsal Sonuçları(Istanbul : YKY, 2001), 498 pp.
- Swedish translation (by Margareta Eklöf): Privat Sanning, Offentlig Lögn (Stockholm: City University Press, 1999), 424pp.
- German translation (by Ekkehard Schöller), with an additional preface: Leben in Lüge: Präferenzverfälschungen und Ihre Gesellschaftlichen Folgen (Tübingen, Germany: J.C.B. Mohr, 1997), xviii + 462 pp.
“Seeds of Racial Explosion,” Society, 30 (September/October 1993): 55-67.
- Reprint in Current, no. 358, December 1993: 4-15.
- Abridged reprint under the title “A Backlash against Affirmative Action is Growing among Whites,” in Paul A. Winters (ed.), Race Relations: Opposing Viewpoints (San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 1996): 29-35.
“Why Revolutions are Better Understood than Predicted: The Role of Preference Falsification” [Comment on an article by Nikki Keddie], Contention, 3 (Spring 1992): 199-207.
- Reprint: Debating Revolutions, ed. Nikki R. Keddie (New York: New York University Press, 1994): 27-35.
Review of Jack A. Goldstone, Revolution and Rebellion in the Early Modern World (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1991), in Contemporary Sociology, 21 (January 1992):8-10.
“Now Out of Never: The Element of Surprise in the East European Revolution of 1989,” World Politics, 44 (October 1991): 7-48. Abstract
- Reprint in Nancy Bermeo (ed.), Liberalization and Democratization(Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1992): 7- 48.
- Abridged reprint in Essential Readings in Comparative Politics, 4th ed., edited by Patrick O’Neill and Ronald Rogowski (New York: W. W. Norton, 2012), in press.