Date of conversation: 15 August 2019
(with Aslı Cansunar) “Economic Harbingers of Political Modernization: Peaceful Explosion of Rights in Ottoman Istanbul, 1600-1839” (Economic Research Initiatives at Duke Working Paper, SSRN, August 9, 2019).
A conversation with Timur Kuran Duke Economics, Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Interview by Virginia Postrel on “Why Weinstein Held On for So Long and Fell So Fast.” BloombergView, 17 October 2017.
“Another Road to Serfdom: Cascading Intolerance,” in Can It Happen Here? Authoritarianism in America, ed. Cass R. Sunstein (New York: Dey Street Books, 2018), pp. 233-76. Typescript.
(with Edward McCaffery) “Sex Differences in the Acceptability of Discrimination.” Political Research Quarterly, 61 (2008): 228-238.
(with Edward McCaffery) “Expanding Discrimination Research: Beyond Ethnicity and to the Web.” Social Science Quarterly, 85 (September 2004): 713-30.
“Ethnic Norms and Their Transformation through Reputational Cascades ,” Journal of Legal Studies, 27 (Summer 1998, pt. 2): 623-59. Abstract
“Ethnic Dissimilation and Its International Diffusion,” in David A. Lake and Donald Rothchild (eds.), The International Spread of Ethnic Conflict: Fear, Diffusion, and Escalation (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1998): 35-60. Abstract
Review of Barbara R. Bergmann, In Defense of Affirmative Action (New York: Basic Books, 1996), in Journal of Economic Literature, 35 (March 1997): 153-55.
Private Truths, Public Lies: The Social Consequences of Preference Falsification (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1995), xv + 423 pp.
- Russian translation (by Irina Soboleva), with an additional preface: in press, 2016.
- Chinese translation (by Ding Zhen Huan and Ou Yang Wu): Pian Hao Wei Zhuang De She Hui Huo Guo (Changchun: Changchun Publishing House, 2005), 287 pp.
- Turkish translation (by Alp Tümertekin), with an additional preface: Yalanla Yaşamak: Tercih Çarpıtmasının Toplumsal Sonuçları(Istanbul : YKY, 2001), 498 pp.
- Swedish translation (by Margareta Eklöf): Privat Sanning, Offentlig Lögn (Stockholm: City University Press, 1999), 424pp.
- German translation (by Ekkehard Schöller), with an additional preface: Leben in Lüge: Präferenzverfälschungen und Ihre Gesellschaftlichen Folgen (Tübingen, Germany: J.C.B. Mohr, 1997), xviii + 462 pp.
“Seeds of Racial Explosion,” Society, 30 (September/October 1993): 55-67.
- Reprint in Current, no. 358, December 1993: 4-15.
- Abridged reprint under the title “A Backlash against Affirmative Action is Growing among Whites,” in Paul A. Winters (ed.), Race Relations: Opposing Viewpoints (San Diego: Greenhaven Press, 1996): 29-35.
“Mitigating the Tyranny of Public Opinion: Anonymous Discourse and the Ethic of Sincerity,” Constitutional Political Economy, 3 (Winter 1993): 41-74. Abstract