“Turkey’s Changing Freedom Deficit.” Project Syndicate, September 15, 2016.
“The Roots of Middle East Mistrust.” Project Syndicate, July 8, 2016.
“The Politics of Revolutionary Surprise,” Project Syndicate, February 2, 2011.
“Institutional Causes of Underdevelopment in the Middle East: A Historical Perspective,” in Institutional Change and Economic Behavior, ed. János Kornai, Laszlo Matyas, and Gérard Roland (New York: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2008), pp. 64-76.
- Chinese translation by Qingjin Zhou: “Zhong Dong Luo Hou de Zhidu Yuanyin: Yige Lishi Shijao.” Journal of Institutional Economic Research, (2010): in press.
“Cultural Obstacles to Economic Development: Often Overstated, Usually Transitory,” in Culture and Public Action, ed. Vijayendra Rao and Michael Walton (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2004), pp. 115-37.
Private Truths, Public Lies: The Social Consequences of Preference Falsification (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1995), xv + 423 pp.
- Russian translation (by Irina Soboleva), with an additional preface: in press, 2016.
- Chinese translation (by Ding Zhen Huan and Ou Yang Wu): Pian Hao Wei Zhuang De She Hui Huo Guo (Changchun: Changchun Publishing House, 2005), 287 pp.
- Turkish translation (by Alp Tümertekin), with an additional preface: Yalanla Yaşamak: Tercih Çarpıtmasının Toplumsal Sonuçları(Istanbul : YKY, 2001), 498 pp.
- Swedish translation (by Margareta Eklöf): Privat Sanning, Offentlig Lögn (Stockholm: City University Press, 1999), 424pp.
- German translation (by Ekkehard Schöller), with an additional preface: Leben in Lüge: Präferenzverfälschungen und Ihre Gesellschaftlichen Folgen (Tübingen, Germany: J.C.B. Mohr, 1997), xviii + 462 pp.
“Fundamentalisms and the Economy,” in M. Marty and S. Appleby (eds.), Fundamentalisms and the State: Remaking Polities, Economies, and Militance (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1993): 289-301.
- Chinese translation: in press .