Two new supplemental internship courses have been approved and will be available beginning in Fall 2023. These courses are designed to provide an opportunity for students to perform a part-time internship (19.9 hours limit) during the fall or spring semester once a student has completed their required program internship. We anticipate this being most valuable for international students who are asked to continue a summer internship into the fall semester, but applies to any part-time internships and so students could complete an internship for company A over the summer and do another part-time internship for company B in the Fall. Additionally, there is also an opportunity to have the fall internship continue over winter break for students that are not graduating. Note: since there are not separate classes over winter break, it is not possible to get CPT for only working over the winter term.
We are excited to be able to add these new classes because these were previously difficult for MENG and MEM international students. Through this course, international students will be able to use CPT for work authorization for additional internship experiences. MS students wanting additional internship experiences can continue to use their departmental internship courses (BME 789 – Internship in Biomedical Engineering, CEE 780 – Internship, ECE 891 – Internship, ME 758S – Curricular Practical Training).
Here are a few details about these classes that you should keep in mind:
- You must have completed your required internship first. (EGRMGMT 550 or MENG 550 is a prerequisite.)
- The work should be part-time (< 19.9 hours per week) in the Fall and Spring terms and can be part-time or full-time in the summer/winter break.
- International students are required to be a residential student in Durham for classes taken in the Fall and Spring semesters. Therefore, the work must be local or remote.
- This is a 3 unit class and will count toward your 9 unit full-time status requirement.
- This course is NOT tuition bearing. Students will not be charged tuition for this course
- If this is your last semester of study, this course does not fulfill the 1 unit tuition bearing requirement for MENG or the 3 unit tuition bearing requirement for MEM students.
- These units do NOT count toward the 30 units required for your MENG or MEM degree
- You can take this class multiple times and so for, example, could take it in both in the Fall and Spring semesters of your second year.
- Students will want to monitor their total CPT work experience. Students who use 12 months or more of full-time (20 or more hours per week) CPT will have no available time for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
- Standard CPT rules apply https://visaservices.duke.edu/categories/f1/cpt in that international students need to have completed one academic year (2 semesters) of study in the US prior to be eligible for CPT.
If you want to take this course in the fall, please sign up for the section associated with your program. Also, there will be two different sections per program. One labeled “Graduating” and the other “Continuing.” Please note that if you are graduating in Fall 2023 and register for this class you must register for the “Graduating” section and your internship must end by the end of the semester.
If you need CPT, you will need to apply for CPT for the summer internship and fall internship separately, meaning you would need one offer letter to participate in the summer internship and a separate offer letter to participate in the fall internship (listing applicable employment dates and work hours). Additionally, if you are a continuing student and want to work over winter break, you may do so part-time and your offer letter must define the range of dates that you will be working, with the latest date being the day before the start of the Spring semester.
Please work with Cherie Creten (firstname.lastname@example.org) and follow the same procedure as you did for a summer internships.
If you have questions, please contact Associate Dean of Master’s Programs, Brad Fox at: email@example.com
EGRMGMT 552: Engineering Management Supplemental Internship
A three-credit internship which requires participation with a cooperating organization, whether local or distant, involving a well-defined set of tasks. Part-time or full-time employment in an appropriate capacity may be utilized for this internship. This course is an elective. Enrollment in the Master of Engineering Management Program is required. EGRMGMT 550 is a prerequisite. Credit/no credit grading only. May be repeated with consent of program director or advisor. (3 units)
MENG 552: Master of Engineering Supplemental Internship
A three-credit internship which requires participation with a cooperating organization, whether local or distant, involving a well-defined set of tasks. Part-time or full-time employment in an appropriate capacity may be utilized for this internship. This course is an elective. Enrollment in the Master of Engineering Program is required. MENG 550 is a prerequisite. Credit/no credit grading only. May be repeated with consent of program director or advisor. (3 units)