Your success, safety, and well-being are our top priority. As you get settled on campus, we want to make sure you are aware of the Duke safety and support resources that are in place to protect our community.
- For emergency assistance, call 9-1-1 to reach the Duke Police (on campus) or Durham police (off campus). For non-emergency situations, Duke Police can be reached at 919-684-2444 and Durham Police can be reached at 919-560-4600.
- Download the Duke LiveSafe app. LiveSafe allows you to send real-time tips through the touch of a button to Duke University Police, which monitors messages 24/7.
SAFETY ADVICE AND RESOURCES:
- Alert police to strangers or suspicious activity in your area (see contact information above).
- Lock all doors and windows of your residence, and utilize any additional security measures available to you (e.g., alarm systems, deadbolt locks).
- If you are walking on campus after dark, you can request a safety escort from Duke Police. Call 919-684-2444, pick up a nearby Help Phone, or use the ‘Emergency Contact’ feature on Duke’s LiveSafe mobile app.
- If you are walking or biking off campus, plan your route in advance and choose well-traveled routes. Travel in groups whenever possible. You can use the “SafeWalk” feature on the LiveSafe app and invite friends to virtually escort you to a destination on a real-time map.
- From 6:00pm – 2:00am (last ride at 1:50am) on Monday through Saturday, Duke Vans provides free, on-demand transportation for faculty, staff and students. Rides are available to and from most Duke facilities that are open during these hours to off-campus locations within a 2.5 mile service area.
- Stay informed about safety in the city of Durham at durhampolice.com.
- Personal electronics (laptops, etc.) can be engraved with your driver’s license number to deter theft. Engraving will help police get in touch with you when stolen items are recovered. For an appointment, call 919-681-5609.
- The Duke Police website offers additional safety advice for a number of on- and off-campus situations.
SUPPORT AND WELLNESS RESOURCES:
Should you need mental and emotional support, please use Duke’s wellness resources:
- Student Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Blue Devils Care (24/7 mental telehealth service)
Additional information and links can be found at: