Urgent Update: Zoom Security Changes
Zoom plans to implement a new security requirement that will require a passcode or waiting room. The changes are expected over the winter break.
The requirement applies to meetings, including those that use your Personal Meeting ID.
To minimize potential disruption of your meetings or spring classes, OIT recommends taking the following steps now:
ALREADY-SCHEDULED (“UPCOMING”) MEETINGS
For a meeting you’ve already scheduled that does not have a passcode, Zoom will automatically enable the waiting room (learn more about the waiting room). You can edit upcoming meetings to enable passcodes instead.
- Visit duke.zoom.us and log in with your NetID and password.
- Select Meetings.
- Beside the desired meeting, select Edit.
- Under Security, select Passcode.
- Click Save.
Note to Sakai users: If you edit a meeting that appears in Sakai, the meeting’s Join URL link will automatically update to reflect the passcode.
If you shared the Join URL in a calendar invitation, copy and paste the new Join URL into the meeting invitation.
Enable passcodes or a waiting room on all new meetings now, before the security features are required.
- Visit duke.zoom.us and log in with your NetID and password (or from the Zoom desktop client Home screen, click Settings (gear icon) –> View More Settings).
- Select Settings.
- Under Security, enable Waiting Room and/or Require a passcode when scheduling new meetings. A confirmation message appears.
Read more about Zoom security and privacy, including how to secure your Personal Meeting ID.
Note: This change will not affect telehealth video visits using Zoom.
The Science Drive walk-in Service Desk located in the Biological Sciences Building, room 150 is closed to visitors. We will primarily focus on providing assistance to the Faculty and Staff of our departments remotely using one of the methods below: (If we are unable to assist you remotely we will schedule an appointment to meet with you in person)
- Emailing us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Filling out our online webform: Request help from Service Desk IT
- Chat with us Monday- Friday 9 am- 4 pm: Click Here
*Please refrain from e-mailing staff members directly (requests emailed directly to the service desk staff may be delayed or lost)