These steps are for connecting the University VPN client via Windows. Every member of the University community with a NetID has access to download the VPN Client.
**MFA is now required for VPN access**
Be sure your Java is up to date before proceeding with the installation. https://www.java.com/en/download/
1. In a browser window, go to https://vpn.duke.edu
2. On the webpage, enter your NetID and password. In the department field, choose -Default. Click Login.
3. An message will pop up asking you to continue. Please be aware of the message. Click Continue.
4. A download window will pop-up. Click Download. If web-based installation fails, go to step 4a. Otherwise, go to step 5.
4a) You will receive the message below telling you web-based installation failed. This usually occurs if java or Windows is not up to date. Please click the link under ‘install using the link below’ message.
5. You may get a pop-up to run the application(depending on your security settings) for Cisco AnyConnect Client.
6. Upon successful installation, you will find the file in Windows under Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. It will say ready to connect. If the address/server field is blank, enter vpn.duke.edu. Click Connect.
7. The credential window will pop-up. Supply your NetID credentials and choose -Default as the group.
8. A warning window will pop up. Please choose Accept if you agree or Disconnect if you do not.
9. The VPN client will now connect. You can check if you are by looking at your taskbar and right-clicking the client. Connected to vpn.duke.edu will appear in place of ready to connect.
10. When you are finished accessing Duke’s resources, you can click on the icon in your system tray and choose the option to Disconnect.
11. After the first successful login to the VPN, your settings will be remembered. In the future you will only need to be connected to the Internet, then open the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client application and login using your NetID to establish the secure connection to the Duke network.
The VPN service is supported by Duke University Network Services. Problems with installation and use should begin with:
Divinity School Service Desk – 919-660-3492
or extended support hours
University Users: OIT Service Desk – 919 684 2200
Optional – Remove from Start-up
12. If you want to prevent Cisco AnyConnect from launching at startup, click on the Cisco AnyConnect icon in the system tray. This will open the Cisco AnyConnect window, click on the little cog icon.
13. In the window that opens, uncheck “Start VPN before user logon to computer” and “Start VPN when Anyconnect is started”.