It’s the least I can do…

On Saturday we watched an independent film at the Human Rights Watch Film Festival called “Complicit“. The documentary follows the journey of a Chinese migrant worker who is diagnosed with an occupational disease, Leukemia, due to exposure to carcinogenic chemicals in an electronics factory. He and many others have found agency in China by organizing against the exploitation of migrant workers in mass production factories.

I am not an expert on this topic, and if anyone is interested in the story you should check out the film, but I think it is important to share this story and the many like it. Men and women are leaving their homes to make additional income for their families and returning less than a decade later with severe medical problems and all of the burdens and complications that come with chronic conditions. And no corporations are being held accountable for their role in cutting these lives short.

We must recognize the humanity in the men and women that are stuck in systems of oppression and acknowledge that we, as consumers, are complicit in and benefiting from the exploitation of capitalism. Apple. Samsung. Walmart. Forever 21. Urban Outfitters. HP. Microsoft. Victoria’s Secret. Adidas. The list is truly endless…

I know I’m not the first person to address the implications of global production and the necessity to recognize my own privilege, but I recently read an article that changed my perspective on what it refers to as “conscious consumerism”. Conscious consumerism is the actions that consumers take to promote sustainability and fair practices – buying from companies that claim not to use sweatshops, recycling, buying organics, etc. What they say is that conscious consumerism is well intentioned but it will not change the world. The efforts we, as individuals, take are not enough to combat structural oppression and systems that are built to succeed on the backs of marginalized groups.

It is important to be informed about corporate practices and to support companies that align with your values. It is also important to support efforts working to combat corporate injustices and to support politicians and organizations that are committed to implementing long term, large scale change.

Consciousness is about more than just being aware. As I continue to learn, I want to find ways to lessen my role in structural labor oppression. This might make aspects of my life inconvenient or more costly. And as I make more money, I may find myself give more to organizations that fight against systems. The reality of today is that there are young people dying before they reach their 30’s to produce my iPhones and laptops. Any and all of my efforts are in no way saving the world, but it’s the least I can do…