The Libraries Assembly (LA) is an organization for staff across all the libraries at Duke University. It offers connections with co-workers, information about Duke and its libraries, partnerships for advocacy, and ongoing professional development opportunities such as speakers, panels, and workshops.
It is the mission of the Libraries Assembly to:
- Promote excellence in library and information professions and participation in these professions at large
- Advocate for and promote the interests of library staff within the libraries and in university affairs
- Foster a collegial environment among the staff of the various libraries
- Make recommendations to the administrations of the libraries concerning matters of interest to the membership
- Welcome and mentor new members
Membership within the Libraries Assembly is open to all interested library employees, including staff in the professional library schools (Divinity, Ford, Goodson Law, Medical), part-time staff, and term appointment employees. Membership is also open to any staff who are enrolled in an advanced MLS or MLIS degree program, or a graduate program in a related field such as archives or public history.
Staff in a “Professional Librarian” position as defined by Duke University are automatically added as members at time of hire; other staff may join any time by completing the signup form below.
To Join: Please complete this form on the LA website to join Libraries Assembly!
To Get Involved: To join committees or other groups in the Libraries Assembly, here is a link to opportunities!
Talk to Us! Here is a handy link for general feedback. We’d love to hear from you, our colleagues!
Learn More! All official Libraries Assembly documentation is available on Sharepoint, library staff-access only (NetID required).