Autumn in New York™

21 moments that have made the first week of Autumn in New York™memorable:

1. When after successfully finding my way to work two days in a row, my overconfidence brought me two whole train stops in the wrong direction.
  2. When I unashamedly changed from my business flats into Sperry’s on the train home (every day).
  3. When I saw my first rat in the city an managed to keep a straight face.
  4. When I concluded that no one really knows exhaustion until they’ve woken up at 5am, stood in line, gone on an intense scavenger hunt, and been rained out of an outdoor play.
  5. When the Moxies made people watching into a competitive sport.
  6. When I fell on the subway for a good 14 consecutive seconds, to the extreme dismay of the man in front of me who’s personal space I unintentionally intruded.
  7. When I confidently led the entire Moxie group 3-4 blocks in the wrong direction because I put the address in as New York and not Brooklyn.
  8. When I walked right past the door to our building on the way home – but totally passed it off as though I was looking for someone, then I gave up and turned back.
  9. When my budget was so ingrained in me, I chose to walk home completely soaked rather than part with $15 for an overpriced poncho at Shakespeare in the Park.
  10. When I successfully used the “Find my Friends” app to stalk a friend onto the train and scare/surprise her (sorry Amanda).
  11. When you know you’ve found your people when you start singing the “F-U-N” song from Spongebob and everyone else chimes in.
  12. When I accepted my fate and went 7 for 7 on turkey and cheese sandwiches every day since last Sunday.
  13. When I successfully managed to leave a message for someone at work, using a translator, in a language completely foreign to IMG_9226me… Only to realize I’d left the wrong callback number.
  14. When I got this great shot at “The Promenade,” an area I will most definitely be returning to for another sunset.
  15. When, seconds after this picture was taken, I splurged and wasted a whole 50 cents of my DukeEngage stipend on a telescope that just didn’t work.
  16. When I ordered my first Amazon package – only to realize the city and state were still set in Texas.
  17. When my no one judged me for having stopped at two different .99 pizza joints on the way home… I had to compare them, y’know?IMG_6699
  18. When I passed by the theater Hamilton happens at, and managed (mostly) not to cry.
  19. When, for the literal hundredth time, my frantic babbling and stupid questions at work were met with understanding smiles and genuine willingness to help.
  20. When I proudly grocery shopped in the city for the first time, then got outside and remembered I now had to carry several heavy bags all the way home.
  21. Managed to get myself so busy that I sort of forgot that tomorrow is my 21st birthday.  Wanna know what gifts I really want? A long nap, a park full of dogs I can pet, and to be able to eat as many honey oat bagels with strawberry cream cheese as I want without gaining a single pound.

One thought on “Autumn in New York™

1. Autumn in NYC: playing it cool; the joys of the fall.

I want to hear more about #13!
    (Also, I’ll take your tips on #17.)