A New Perspective

Hearing an overview of the findings of the Gender Taskforce report really made me think about accomplishment and women’s role in the workforce. Knowing that I want to enter the corporate world and be successful, it was really great for me to hear this.

The Gender Taskforce report indicated that women tend to have higher grades, generally spend more time in academic preparation taking advantage of the resources offered on campus, and dedicate more time to co-curricular activities or student groups (with the exception of sports) and studying in general. On the other hand, men spend more time in leisurely activities such as playing recreational sports, time with friends, etc.  Yet, trends from research at other institutions suggest that males tend to overestimate their abilities or are overconfident, whereas females tend to underestimate what they can do.

Those facts made me really think about the structure of our education. If confidence in oneself seems to be key to being successful, then why is it that the educational system does not address lower confidence among women? Why is it that women underestimate their achievements and qualifications? Is it biological or environmental? Why do women feel like they need to work twice as hard to accomplish the same results men do?

Hearing these facts is both unsettling and exciting at the same time. If developing confidence and faith in one’s abilities is the answer to leveling the playing field or at least one step in the right direction, then I am starting to feel hope. I feel like there is something I can do. Instead of signing up for yet another activity or overloading on classes, I will now take the time to truly reflect on my strengths and take the time to focus on myself. At the same time, I feel that it is absolutely imperative to figure out what it is that is causing women to underestimate their abilities.