Education to Action

Three days at Sadie Nash and I’m on summer internship cloud nine! My name is Phoebe, and, since first studying gender inequality my senior year of high school, I’ve made a point of identifying myself as a “feminist.” I’ve taken Women’s Studies classes at Duke, interned with homeless and abused women in Seattle, Haiti, and Nicaragua, and involved myself in activist activities on campus. While I’ve viewed myself as a feminist for many years, never has my work directly claimed “feminism” as its mantra. Sadie Nash Leadership Project is the first feminist “space” I’ve encountered where everyone is committed to, not only feminist theory, but also feminist reality.

So what’s the difference between this and domestic violence prevention in rural Haiti? With such an unequal society and larger world, the work of feminism can certainly be approached in a multiplicity of ways, from violence reduction, reproductive health awareness, public protest, etc.; yet feminism begins most crucially through the challenging of existing power structures. This means working from conceptualization of gender to action, rather than action to conceptualization. By this I mean, the change starts in us, and moves outward. Prevention of gender injustice cannot start with helping those already oppressed; rather it must prevent that oppression from occurring in the first place. I truly believe all approaches to female empowerment are meaningful and necessary; yet, I also view the only “sustainable development” to be educational expansion and internal reordering of power norms.  Every societal wound like domestic violence or poverty requires stitching; yet, the antidote comes from the restructuring of thinking about gender. Young women must believe in their potential if they are going to act to change their circumstances.

This belief is why I am interning at Sadie Nash Leadership Project.

Entering into my first day of work, immediately after arriving in New York City, I was filled with anxiety, and apprehension. What was Sadie Nash all about? What did it really mean to be working for a feminist non-profit? Logistically, how was I supposed to lead a summer program of young women when I, myself, am only 21 and very much still formulating my self-conception as an adult woman?

After about an hour surrounded by the Sadie Nash staff, all my worries were calmed and replaced by a serene excitement for the months to come. From warm smiles, to feisty bantering, the work environment of Sadie Nash speaks to the mission of promoting self-acceptance, empowerment to lead, and acceptance of diversity.  I still don’t know exactly what to expect in the months to come, but I know I’m surrounded by a group of passionate, committed, fun-loving women who want, above all else, to inspire other women to embrace their own leadership potential. I can’t wait to be a mentor to young women as we mutually explore our talents, weaknesses, and societal pressures. I genuinely want to learn from these young women about their personal perspectives on feminist issues, as I’m sure the diverse population of students will provide a vibrant and fascinating classroom environment. Basically, I’m excited, still unsure of details, but feeling confidant about the work I’ll be doing and the mentors who are leading me along the way!