Duke Law VITA is an IRS Partner
Because of COVID-19, Duke Law is not operating any of its normal sites and is instead partnering with Reinvestment Partners. Reinvestment Partners is located at 110 E. Geer St. in Durham. The office hours are Mon./Wed./Thur. 10AM to 4PM, Tuesday 10AM to 6PM and Friday 12PM to 4PM. Please visit their website at https://NC-TAC.com or call 919-286-1822 for more information.
DUE TO CAPACITY RESTRAINTS, DUKE LAW VITA CAN NO LONGER PREPARE TAX RETURNS FOR GRADUATE AND PROFESSIONAL STUDENTS.
Refunds for persons claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit.
If you claim the EITC or ACTC on your tax return, the IRS cannot issue your refund before mid-February. The law requires the IRS to hold the entire refund — even the portion not associated with the EITC or ACTC. Like previous years, some tax refunds may be held if there are questions about the tax return or the IRS needs more information.
Ten Facts about IRS Volunteer Tax Assistance
Taxpayers looking for free basic income tax preparation assistance may qualify for IRS sponsored community-based, volunteer tax return preparation programs.
Here are the top 10 things the IRS wants you to know about these volunteer programs.
2 The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program offers free tax help for households with total income of less than $54,000. Most locations offer free electronic filing.
3.The Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program offers free tax help to taxpayers who are 60 and older.
4. The IRS trains community volunteers so they can help eligible taxpayers with several special credits, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Child Tax Credit and the Credit for the Elderly.
5. Many volunteer sites have language specialists to assist people with limited English skills.
6. More than 12,000 free tax preparation sites are open nationwide this year as the IRS continues to expand its partnerships with nonprofit and community organizations performing these vital tax preparation services.
7. As part of the TCE program, AARP offers the Tax-Aide free tax preparation program at over 6,000 sites nationwide during the filing season. Trained and certified AARP Tax-Aide volunteers provide assistance to taxpayers with low-to-moderate income, with special attention paid to those 60 and older.
8. The military also partners with the IRS to provide free tax assistance to military personnel and their families. The Armed Forces Tax Council consists of the tax program coordinators for the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard. Volunteers are trained and equipped to address military-specific tax issues, such as combat zone tax benefits.
9. Locations and hours of operation are often available through city information hotlines and local community organizations.
10. Local VITA site information is also available on this website or by calling the IRS toll-free number 1-800-906-9887. To locate the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site, call 1-888-227-7669 (888-AARPNOW) or visit www.aarp.org.