Below is general info on VITA tax preparation services. Due to COVID-19, the 2020 tax year return process is different. Click here for more.
Information for VITA Clients
- Must bring a government issued photo identification
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth Dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Total Paid for Day Care
- Day Care providers Tax Identification number
- Information related to health care coverage
- Documentation of charitable contributions
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
- In 2017, the Duke Law Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program will prepare tax returns for Non-U.S. Residents on Sunday, March 20 and April 3 from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm and on Saturday, March 26 and April 2 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm International House located at 300 Alexander Avenue. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment. Please put “Tax Preparation Appointment” in the subject line.
If you have general questions or need to leave a message you may email us at VITAservices@law.duke.edu or call the Duke Law VITA hotline 919-613-8526. Please do not call this number for the status of your refund. The Duke Law VITA fax number is 919-613-9001.