Written November 4th, 2021 (Post 2 of 3):

feelings in this moment:

elevated. despairing. powerful.

These feelings may seem conflicting and contradictory, but I guess COP can do that to a person…

My first day was an absolute whirlwind. While several classmates woke up in the early hours of Monday morning, another student and I took it slow. We weren’t able to enter the Blue Zone until 2pm due to various restrictions associated with receiving our badges. Once we figured out the train schedule, we arrived at the conference center to find a chaotic and bustling scene in the distance. Scores of police lined the streets and guarded entrances into the Blue Zone. Beyond the relative calm of COP attendees we could see (and first heard) scores of protestors: “COP Welcomes Climate Criminals” … “STOP KILLING US” … 

I couldn’t help but wonder if I should be on the other side of the fences, with those whose voices were quelled at the edges COP26. I went on, though, through security checkpoint after security checkpoint. I looked at my badge in utter shock and awe – all of my life I had studied the natural world and tenants of environmental ethics. Being at COP26 felt like a culmination of something / an opportunity I couldn’t waste.

Over these last few days in Glasgow, I’ve been feeling elevated by the sheer number of people all working towards the same goal from all corners of the globe…I almost never want to leave this space of creativity, innovation, and hope. To walk through the convention center pavilion space and from one country to another is almost surreal – from Pakistan to Turkey to the US to Sweden, the space buzzes with talk of progress. While somewhat starstruck (…Leo was there!), I’m also beginning to experience a bit of  frustration (here comes the “despairing” feeling I listed at the beginning of this post).

In between events, on the train, and in quieter moments, my Duke classmates and I were able to discuss some of the more concerning and hypocritical behaviors of various groups and countries:

• Brazil’s pavilion highlighted their focus on protecting their rainforests (as they are deforested and burn beyond control),
  • China and Russia are noticeably absent from COP26 (though China does have a “Corporate” pavilion…),
  • Australia’s pavilion was sponsored by an O&G company (though after some public pressure, they removed the name of said company from their pavilion),
  • and I’m beginning to hear the same buzz words again and again (net zero, 1.5, justice, climate change, climate finance, etc.)
  • I also hear of the heartbreak many local communities and indigenous peoples face in their home countries. I’m told that many carry a sense “hopelessness.” This was reiterated during a conversation I had with representatives from Papa New Guinea who may never return to another COP due to disappointing results time and time again.

Does COP “welcome climate criminals?” This is the story painted on posters plastered across Glasgow.

This feeling of despair is balanced by feeling of power…by this I mean a real power we each have to change things for the better. The power I sense in others primarily came through 1) the RMI CFAN events when I was able to hear from leaders from developing nations, especially small island states and, 2) the BCSE events I supported throughout the week.

On Tuesday of this week, I helped with my first RMI CFAN event in the AOSIS Pavilion (Alliance of Small Island States) entitled, “This is what Climate Finance looks like: Funding Climate Resilience in SIDS.” Panelists spoke about the need for advisors and consultants on the ground to help advance climate goals. Three ideas were emphasized: 1) the need for strong country ownership, 2) the need for flexibility and ability to rapidly respond to country needs, and 3) the need to think ahead.