Coming to fruition in the midst of the COVID-19 social distancing movement, The This Engineering Life Team has put together a bank of productive things for our listeners to enjoy! What follows is out compiled list of favorite Books, Videos, and Projects to pass the time and engage the mind 🙂
If you have recommendations of your own, please submit them here!
Our Favorite Books:
Dr. Simmons is an avid reader, and hopes that you’ll enjoy some of her current, recent, and future reads!
What she’s CURRENTLY reading:
- Out of the Gobi: My Story of China and America by Weijian Shan
- Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez
- Normal Sucks: How to Live, Learn, and Thrive Outside the Lines by Jonathan Mooney
- Why Are We Yelling: The Art of Productive Disagreement by Buster Benson
Recent reads she LOVED:
- Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas that Win Wars, Cure Disease, and Transform Industries by Safi Bahcall
- David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwell
- The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups by Daniel Coyle
What’s UP NEXT in her pile to read:
- The Upccyle: Beyond Sustainability – Designing for Abundance by William McDonough
- Orginials: How Non-Conformists Move the World by Adam Grant
- Trillion Dollar Coach: the Leadership Playbook of Silicon Valley’s Bill Campbell by Alan Eagle, Eric Schmidt, and Jonathan Rosenberg
- The Art of Gathering: How we Meet and Why it Matters by Priya Parker
- Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That’ll Improve and/or Ruin Everything by Kelly and Zach Winersmith
- Women Scientists in America: Struggles and Strategies to 1940 by Margaret W Rossiter
Our Favorite Videos/Channels:
- Real Engineering – interesting answers to simple engineering questions.
- Mark Rober – former NASA engineer with a Mechanical Engineering background builds cool engineering projects.
- How To Mechatronics – an educational channel on exploring homemade mechatronics projects.
Other Intellectual Topics
- SmarterEveryDay – an exploration of the world using science. That’s pretty much all there is to it. Watch 2 videos, you’ll learn something.
- Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell – explaining things with optimistic nihilism. Making science look beautiful, because it is.
- Vsauce – an exciting exploration of our amazing world.
Our Favorite Projects:
- “Arduino Beginner Basics” by Great Scott
- “Arduino – Tutorials and Projects” by Arduino
- Arduino Project Handbook: 25 Practical Projects to Get You Started by Mark Geddes
- Programming Arduino: Getting Started with Sketches, Second Edition by Simon Monk
As always, we welcome your input! If you have recommendations of your own, please submit them here!