Home » Meet the PSLs

Meet the PSLs

Click here for the booking calendar for all PSLs

Garrett Allen

Email: garrett.allen@duke.edu

Pronouns: he/him/his

Class: 2023

Major: Statistics/Mathematics

Hometown: Tempe, AZ

Communities: Alspaugh, Few

Bio: Hi! My name is Garrett and I’m double majoring in math/statistics with a minor in political science. I wanted to be a part of the PSL program because, as a First Generation Low-Income (FGLI) student, I know how difficult Duke can be to navigate without a lot of guidance. I’m really interested in education and I always love working with people to help them out with whatever they might need. I encourage anyone to reach out to me for any reason whatsoever- whether you just feel alone at Duke and want someone to talk to, need some guidance navigating the complexities of Duke, or any sort of educational help.

Fun Fact: When I was 7, I fell out of a hammock while reading Captain Underpants over some concrete and suffered a concussion that I had to go to the hospital to treat. I made a bunch of friends in the hospital waiting room and then passed out on my bed when I got home- needless to say, it was significantly past my bedtime for that age.

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Garrett 

Amara Burrell

Email: amara.burrell@duke.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Class: 2024

Major: Psychology/Global Health (on the pre-med track)

Hometown: Liberty Hill, TX

Communities: Bassett, Few

Bio: My name is Amara, and I’m a sophomore on the premed track looking to co-major in global health and psychology. I dream of becoming a child psychiatrist or working with a global nonprofit to support, educate, and empower our youth. Children and people as a whole are what I’m most passionate about, which is why I love to travel and understand new cultures. I also enjoy doing spontaneous things and connecting with others to gain new perspectives on the world and learn about the complexity and variance of the human experience. My goal is to be a light in our community who can serve as a source of motivation while lending a helping hand and offering a listening ear.

Fun Fact: Music is a huge part of the way I experience the world, so I love concerts, festivals, and music suggestions!

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Amara

Alex Chao

Email: alex.chao@duke.edu

Pronouns: 

Class: 2022

Major: Computer Science/African and African American Studies

Hometown: Edmond, OK

Communities: Pegram, Craven

Bio: I’m a senior (how did this happen) from Oklahoma. I’ve taken courses in almost every social sciences/humanities department so would love to give any advice on that side of things. I’m involved with music and education related groups on campus. I enjoy cooking and watching cooking videos, and also am a fan of rock climbing and nature-y stuff. I love building relationships with others, and especially coming out of COVID am recharged to meet new people, so hmu if you just want someone to pay for your meal.

Fun Fact: All my family members were born in capitals

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Alex 

Carlee Goldberg

Email: carlee.goldberg@duke.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Class: 2022

Major: Political Science/History

Hometown: Parkland, FL

Communities: Wilson, East House, Crowell

Bio: Born and raised in Parkland, Florida, Carlee is a rising senior double majoring in political science and history. On campus, she serves as an associate justice for the Duke Student Government Judiciary and conducts research at the intersection of juvenile justice and gun violence as well as the impact of civic education on youth political engagement. Outside of Duke, Carlee serves as the Director for the Triangle Debate League, an organization aimed at increasing access to speech and debate opportunities in the triangle area. Carlee is on the pre-law track and hopes to attend law school following graduation.

Fun Fact: I love learning about medieval castles in my free time!

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Carlee 

Nick Haddad

Email: nicholas.haddad@duke.edu

Pronouns: he/him/his

Class: 2024

Major: Undecided

Hometown: Franklin, MI

Communities: Blackwell, Keohane

Bio: Hi! My name’s Nick, and I’m currently a sophomore. I’m not sure what I’m majoring in nor where I’ll end up, though I’m interested in health, environment, and culture. I love being outside, whether it be running, walking my family’s two dogs Bo and Stella, or playing tennis. I play the clarinet in the marching band, am a member of Duke eNable, Jumpstart, and Ignite. I started my academic journey in Pratt, but switched to Trinity after my first semester, and I’m still figuring things out – it’s okay! So, if you want to chat about making these decisions or life, I’m all yours!

Fun Fact: I’m a triplet!

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Nick 

Charlotte Hallisey

Email: charlotte.hallisey@duke.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Class: 2024

Major: Computer Science

Hometown: Greenwich, CT

Communities: Blackwell, Kilgo

Bio: Hello my name is Charlotte Hallisey. I am a Computer Science major and Finance minor. At Duke I am also involved in BOW, Scale and Coin, Research, and DTECH. I look forward to a wonderful year as a Peer Success Leader!

Fun Fact: Coffee is my favorite ice cream flavor but I do not like coffee (the drink).

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Charlotte 

Connor Haughey

Email: connor.haughey@duke.edu

Pronouns: he/him/his

Class: 2023

Major: Psychology/Philosophy, minor in Chemistry

Hometown: Columbus, OH

Communities: Bell Tower, Hollows

Bio: Connor is a junior double majoring in Psychology and Philosophy with a minor in Chemistry. He started Duke pre-med, but has since focused on law and clinical psychology graduate programs. At Duke, he is involved in research within the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and is an executive member of Peer Advocacy for Sexual Health. During his first-year, he participated in the Genetics and Genomics FOCUS cluster and loved the connections he made during the program. Furthermore, he volunteers for the Crisis Text Line as a crisis counselor, where he supports individuals with varying psychosocial concerns. He enjoys music, films, fashion, and uplifting those around him. Connor is an open book and always happy to share his experiences as a first-generation, low-income student.

Fun Fact: I wear overalls almost every day

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Connor

Anna He

Email: anna.he@duke.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Class: 2022

Major: Environmental Science, minor in Cultural Anthropology

Hometown: Chandler, AZ

Communities: Trinity, Hollows

Bio: Hello there! My name is Anna (she/hers). I am a junior majoring in environmental science, but I am also passionate about cultural anthropology, psychology, education, and documentary studies. I’m originally from Arizona where I spent many happy days outdoors with friends; those experiences influenced my interest in how our environment (both physical and social) shapes our sense of community and holistic well-being.

Specifically for the Duke environment, I care about creating positive community spaces for people to thrive. As a peer success leader, I strive to be a mentor and listening ear to ensure all students can enjoy a vibrant, healthy, meaningful Duke experience. No matter where you are in your Duke journey, I would love to connect with you!

Fun Fact: I joined a dance group (Duke Chinese Dance) at Duke despite never having danced before, and now they are one of my favorite communities! That experience reminds me to be brave, step outside of my comfort zone, and be open to new experiences regardless of the outcome.

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Anna 

Jenny Li

Email: jenny.li11@duke.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Class: 2023

Major: Sociology, minors in Global Health and Psychology

Hometown: Portland, OR

Communities: Southgate, Edens

Bio: Hi! My name is Jenny and I’m from Portland, Oregon. I’m a current junior and majoring in Sociology with minors in Global Health and Psychology. You can find me at Cafe ordering the cinnamon crepe with strawberries and a scoop of hazelnut ice cream. Outside of classes, I’m involved with America Reads/America Counts, Club Basketball, and Bass Connections. In my free time, I love playing and watching basketball. Go Blazers and of course, go Blue Devils! I also think I have the cutest husky in the world (ask me about Tachi and I’ll show you some cute pictures of her). I’m so excited to be a PSL and I’m super happy to talk about anything!

Fun Fact: I played high school basketball with the sisters of a couple NBA players, including Damian Lillard’s younger sister!

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Jenny 

Catherine McMillan

Email: catherine.mcmillan@duke.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Class: 2022

Major: History, minor in Education

Hometown: Charlotte, NC

Communities: Randolph, Hollows

Bio: Catherine McMillan is a History major and Education minor from Charlotte, NC. She is active in Duke Student Government, Muser, the Kenan Institute for Ethics, and serves as a Peer Success Leader. She researches the intersection between community engagement and educational policy with the inter-institutional University-Assisted Community Schools Bass Connections. She will also be pursuing a senior thesis that explores Southern identity, city infrastructure, and displacement. Off campus, she is active in the nonprofit sphere. She works at the Community Empowerment Fund on the Advocate Community Engagement team, supporting new Advocate recruitment and training. Catherine is passionate about supporting efforts to improve the undergraduate experience. She is excited to cultivate her passion for holistic well-being at Duke by connecting peers to resources and supporting wider institutional efforts to promote a healthier, happier campus.

Fun Fact: Learned how to play the handpan and rollerblade during quarantine

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Catherine 

Naman Parikh

Email: naman.parikh@duke.edu

Pronouns: he/him/his

Class: 2024

Major: Computer Science/Electrical and Computer Engineering

Hometown: Edison, NJ

Communities: Gilbert Addoms, Wannamaker

Bio: Hi! My name is Naman. I am a rising sophomore pursuing Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Economics, and an Innovation and Entrepreneurship Certificate. I am passionate about interlacing commerce and community using technology entrepreneurship (www.namanparikh.com). I am also equally passionate about contributing to communities that I am a part of, especially being of help to my university peers in while they transition into college life. We are all in this together and I cannot wait to be on this journey with you – as a Blue Devil!

Fun Fact: My name is a palindrome: it is spelled the same way backwards

Click Here Book an Appointment With Naman

Simran Prakash

Email: simran.prakash@duke.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Class: 2022

Major: Program II: Disability Representation through Media

Hometown: Phoenix, AZ

Communities: Randolph, Craven

Bio: I am a current senior undergraduate from Phoenix, AZ majoring in a Program 2 major called Disability Representation through Media. On campus, I love disability advocacy with DDA, taking photographs for the Chronicle, and swimming with Club Swim. As a PSL who has experienced the Program 2 pathway, I’m excited to help guide people into academic curriculums they are truly passionate about.

Fun Fact: I’ve hiked the Grand Canyon in five hours!

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Simran

Giovanny Sims

Email: giovanny.sims@duke.edu

Pronouns: he/him/his

Class: 2023

Major: Public Policy/Visual Arts, certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship

Hometown: North Miami, FL

Communities: Giles, West House, Edens

Bio: Greetings, I am apart of the graduating class of 2023 studying Public Policy, with an interest in Visual arts, Entrepreneurial endeavors, and entertainment. Please ask me anything about being Pre-law, Social media marketing, and music.

Fun Fact: I make music sometimes!

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Giovanny

Linda Tang

Email: linda.y.tang@duke.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Class: 2022

Major: Biology/Statistics/Chemistry

Hometown: Changchun, China

Communities: Bell Tower, Kilgo

Bio: I am a senior studying Biology and Statistics. I am interested in going into the health care field in the future and continue with biomedical research.

Fun Fact: I enjoy playing the guitar

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Linda

Arthi Vaidyanathan

Email: arthi.vaidyanathan@duke.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Class: 2022

Major: Biology/Global Health, minor in Chemistry

Hometown: Somerset, NJ

Communities: Trinity, Crowell

Bio: Hi! My name is Arthi and I’m in the class of 2022 majoring in Biology and Global Health and minoring in Chemistry. I’m also on the pre-med track and hope to someday be able to combine my interests in medicine and global health. On campus, I am part of a bass connections team studying concussions in young football players and an immunology lab looking into the innate immune system. I also volunteer for FEMMES and for Crisis Textline supporting people in crisis. In my free time, I enjoy playing soccer, trying out new arts and crafts, traveling, and watching the sunset. I’m really excited to be a team lead for the PSL program this year!

Fun Fact: My favorite animal is a giraffe and one of my dream destinations is Giraffe Manor in Kenya!

Click Here to Book an Appointment With Arthi