Welcome to Quantum Science Group
Our research group focuses on understanding quantum phenomena in engineered quantum systems and developing ways to make them useful for quantum technologies. Physical systems that we focus on include ion-traps, superconducting quantum circuits, and defects in solids. Our research interest lies at the interface of quantum information science, quantum optics, and condensed matter physics.
- We are looking for postdocs to join the Quantum Science Group at DKU! The candidate is expected to have expertise in one of the following areas: theory of open quantum systems, theoretical quantum optics, statistical physics, or quantum information/technology. If you are interested, please send your CV to Prof. Hwang.
- (January, 2023) A new preprint titled “Dynamical scaling laws in the quantum q-state clock chain” uploaded to arXiv. This is a joint work with Prof. Gaoyong Sun’s group in Nanjing.
- (November, 2022) Dr. Guitao Lyu joins our group as a postdoctoral researcher. Dr. Lyu recently got his PhD from Zhejiang University and is an expert in the physics of cold atoms and exciton-polariton condensates. Welcome Guitao!
- (November, 2022) Our postdoc Dr. Jonas Florinas is leaving our group to take up a professor position at Universidade federal da grande Dourados in Brazil. We are very happy for Jonas and wish him the best for his successful academic career in Douraods. We will miss you, Jonas. Congratulations!
- (August, 2022) Jinchen Zhao’s second paper titled “Anomalous multicritical phenomena and frustration induced by synthetic magnetic fields” is uploaded to arXiv. Congratulations!
- (Apr, 2022) Our research on “Frustrated Superradiant Phase Transition” is published in Physical Review Letters! This work identifies a novel type of phase transition called “frustrated superradiant phase transition” for the first time that occurs when the ground-state superradiance of cavity fields cannot simultaneously minimize the positive photon hopping interactions. Journal Ref: Jinchen Zhao and Myung-Joong Hwang, Physical Review Letters 128, 163601 (2022)
- (Dec, 2021) Jinchen Zhao’s first paper titled “Frustrated Superradiant Phase Transition” is uploaded to arXiv. Congratulations!
- (Sep, 2021) Dr. Jonas F. G. Santos joins the quantum science group. Welcome Jonas!
- (May, 2021) Four summer research scholars (Ho-Yun, Jinchen, Yue, Yuhang) join our group for intensive research over the summer. Welcome!
- (Nov, 2020) Our group receives a research grant from National Science Foundation of China (NSFC) for the investigation of critical phenomena in controlled quantum systems.
- (June, 2020) Our research on quantum statistical enhancement of a quantum machine is published in Physical Review Letters! This work shows that quantum indistinguishability can be harnessed to enhance the performance of quantum engines. This paper is a result of an international collaboration with Prof. Gentaro Watanabe (Zhejiang), Prof. Prassana Venkatesh (IIT Gandhinagar), Prof. Peter Talkner (Augsburg), and Prof. Adolfo del Campo (Bilbao). Journal Ref : Physical Review Letters 124, 210603 (2020)
- (November, 2019) Our research on dynamical scaling laws of Out-of-Time-Ordered Correlators (OTOC) is published in Physical Review B. The OTOC has recently been recognized as an important object to characterize dynamics of non-integrable many-body system. In this work, we establish a dynamical scaling law for the OTOC in the vicinity of quantum critical point and show the universality of butterfly velocity in a chaotic model such as a transverse axial nearest-neighborhood Ising model. This work has been done with a collaboration with Prof. Bo-Bo Wei (Shenzhen) and Prof. Gaoyong Sun (Nanjing). Journal Ref : Physical Review B 100, 195107 (2020)