Check out the online version of our 2020 GEST Activities, Panel Discussion, and more!
2020 GEST Activities at Home:
Aging of Fish and Sea Turtles: Learn how researchers estimate ages of fish and sea turtle species using hard structures and why it matters.
Aquatic Animal Veterinary Care: Students will learn how a fish health examination is performed, using anesthesia and diagnostic techniques to assess general health and look for parasites. Take a look at images of fish gills and fish endoscopy and see what a pregnant elasmobranch looks like. Also check out this helpful career path handout!
Bristle Bots: Students will make a Bristle Bot to take home. This is a little ‘bug’ that is made with the head of a toothbrush, a small vibrator motor, a small coin battery, and some connecting wire and tape.
Fish/Oyster Dissection: Dissect a fish (online!) or oyster to learn about their physiology and anatomy, as well as how they help the environment.
Living Shorelines: Students will learn about natural based solutions for controlling erosion and polluted runoff. They will also have a chance to explore a nearby living shoreline to learn about different types of wildlife that benefit from some of these methods. (Check out this oyster reef restoration video too!)
Say Watt?!?!: Students will learn about current, voltage, and resistance by building a clap switch circuit (Sound Triggered LED). Students will also learn how to make a simple phone speaker from wires, magnets, and a paper plate.
Studying Venus Flytraps: Students will measure venus fly traps just like researchers do, and discuss what factors affect plant growth.
2020 GEST Panel Discussion:
Participate in the Virtual Expanding Your Horizons conference on April 18th!
They are currently planning a full day of engaging talks, panels, workshops, and demos that will be broadcast live via Zoom throughout the day.
Marine Science Activities:
- Learn the sounds of marine mammals
- Track shark movements and learn about migrations
- Hydrographic Surveying: Mapping the Sea Floor
- Observe animal behavior on the Monterey Bay Aquarium Live cams
- Virtually visit the New England Aquarium and try some at-home activities
- Learn about microbes with an augmented reality app
- Sign up for a lesson on marine mammals from the Pacific Marine Mammal Center
- Complete a marine mammal conservation activity with the Marine Mammal Center
- Conduct experiments as a Water Explorer with UNCW Marine Quest
General STEM Activities:
- Discuss a science topic via Skype a Scientist
- Science with Sophie STEM Video Series
- 11 TED Talks by brilliant women in STEM
- Observe animal behavior on the Explore Live cams
- Learn about climate change with Global Weirding
- Solve a protein folding puzzle and contribute to scientific research
- Complete an Hour of Code tutorial
- Participate in InverteFest and discover inverts where you live