FEMMESHacks took place on Saturday, November 3rd 2018.
FEMMESHacks will take place again on Saturday, November 16th 2019. Check out our GitHub page for more resources.
What is FEMMESHacks?
FEMMESHacks is a day-long hackathon of coding, speakers, food, and fun for high-school girls who are interested in learning more about computer science and programming. A hackathon can be thought of as a marathon of hacking, or coding. Girls will come together in teams to collaborate on various software or hardware projects to present at the end of the event. We welcome any female-identifying students enrolled in high school (grades 9-12) – even if you have not participated in any FEMMES or computer science programs previously.
What to Expect at FEMMESHacks
The day will begin with speakers and workshops focused on how to set up a development environment and introduction to developing. The day’s focus will be learning about and exposure to the tech industry, with a large variety of workshops available for participants to explore.
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be provided. Programming will occur in teams, and there will be a team-forming opportunity at the start of the event.
Interested in learning more about programming? Check out these resources!
- Resources from FEMMESHacks this year, including the Python Turtles Workshop, the Java workshop, and the HTML Workshop
- Codecademy offers tons of introductory courses to various programming languages. The courses can be a little more time consuming, but help you practice writing and debugging actual code.
- General Assembly
- HackerRank allows you to choose from a large selection of programming languages.
- The 30 Days of Code challenge is a very comprehensive introduction to computer programming. It introduces basic concepts as well as more complex data structures, such as Linked Lists and Trees. Each activity includes thorough tutorials paired with the challenge for the day.
- HTML Dog
- Khan Academy
- Learn Python
- Mozilla Developer Network
- Udacity: Learn to Code
- Opens September 18 (more intense – like an actual course)
- iPhone Apps