Join our Student Scientist program
Are you interested in gaining research and leadership skills? Understanding our local ecosystems? Having Fun? Making some money? Then apply to become one of Duke University Marine Lab’s (DUML) Student Scientists! As a DUML Student Scientist, you will experience research alongside DUML scientists, develop and deliver hands-on science outreach in our community AND get paid.
Detail information and requirements: The DUML Student Scientist program seeks talented Carteret County high school students from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- The program is open to all interested 9th – 12th graders in Carteret County (the grade you are in, as of April 2022).
- Students Scientists must commit to 30-60 hrs of community science outreach in June and July. Potential shifts will occur Monday-Friday in June and July for approximately 4-8 hours each day (with a maximum of 20 hours/week). All Student Scientists who conduct community outreach are eligible for summer stipends.
- Upon acceptance to the Student Scientist program, students will be required to attend a training session on June 8th 2022 from 9am – 2:30 pm at the Duke university Marine Lab. Food and beverage will be provided. If a Student Scientist fails to attend the training, they will be unable to participate during the 2022 season.
- CCATS transportation vouchers available upon request for any student needing transportation assistance.
The Application Process:
- We have a rolling application process, and applications are being accepted through May 15, 2022.
- All sections (questions and reference information) must be submitted for full consideration.
- Selected Student Scientists applicants will be interviewed by the DUML Community Science team at your high school.
- You will be required to provide contact information for a teacher or school counselor at your school. Please submit their contact information into your application. The DUML Community Science team will contact your teacher/counsellor with a reference form.
- If accepted to the program, the student must attend an orientation before starting his/her DUML Science Student Scientist program (June 8, 2022).
If you would like to apply to our STEM Pathways program please fill out our online application.