The Fall 2022 semester is now underway.
Please come back soon to check in on our progress!
Curriculum and Workshops
Workshop One: Expository Writing
To prepare for the session, each student will be asked to:
- Draw a sketch of the overall system they will be working on, software could be represented by blocks, they can use pictures for the different hardware
- Label all the subsystems in their sketch
Instructor (15 minutes)
- Science = absolute truth, objective
- Storytelling = perspective, persuasive, not ‘serious’ enough for academics
- Use as a tool to organize ideas
- Make audience understand; you will remember, process, and understand better
- Make them aware of their scientific writing
- Everyone has their own idea but not formally taught, taken for granted
- How do you take data and turn it into knowledge?
- Problem solving in general
- The project is not for them, it is for the world
- Applies to writing as much as it does for oral presentation
- To become a better writer, you must be a good reader
- Literature review!
- A word about critiques
- Keep an open mind – a mindset of change – appreciate the feedback
- Judgment-free zone
- Feedback from different people is going to be different
- The flow of information when you write
- From old to new information
- General aspect – something that everyone could relate to in order to engage the audience?
Work session (15 minutes)
- Describe how a thermometer works
- No discussions! No questions! You’re on your own for 15 minutes
- Be as descriptive as possible
- Only provide original work
Debrief and critique (30 minutes)
- Look at a canned example for a very common object
- Point out important aspect of the writing that are good
- Go into review of student work
- Focus on grammar, spelling, vocabulary, tone
- Language choices will change the way the message is received by audience
- Flow of ideas
- Review concision
- Compile all student work in one file
- Order them according to audience (simple to difficult)
- VOTE: which one is the best!!!
- What will the definition of the thermometer in 20 years be?
- Next assignment: rewrite your proposal
- Draft an experimental procedure with schematics