Workshop – Discussion for Math/Physics Research Projects
Time: Wednesday, December 11 2019, 5:30-6:30pm
Location: IB 2025
Faculties: Jian-Guo Liu; Shixin Xu; Konstantinos Efstathiou; Wei Ji, Kai Huang, Changcheng Zheng
Students: Teodora Petkova, Cullen Peters, Huyue Yan, Zikang Jia, Jinchen Zhao, Tianyu Wu, Qianyu Pan, Yiqing Huang, Aiya Kuchukova
Staff: Yiwei Xiong
Prof Jian-Guo Liu prompted general opportunities for students
Prof Kai Huang presented his project
Please kindly check the link http://www.staff.uni-bayreuth.de/~bt170950/subfolder/Research.html for more details.
Prof Changcheng Zheng introduced his current ideas
Currently, Prof. Zheng has two ideas:
- Optical characterization and analysis of properties of transparent ceramics (literature review first, detailed experiments in the summer of 2020).
- Raman and photoluminescence study of WS2 under different conditions (data analysis at the moment, in collaboration with Suzhou Institute of Nano-Tech and Nano-Bionics).
Other research projects in collaboration with local companies may happen in the near future. Please check the general information on the website: https://scholars.duke.edu/person/changcheng.zheng
Prof Konstantinos Efstathiou talked about dynamic system
Prof Shixin Xu gave his 2 directions on research and projects
Prof. Shixin Xu prompted three possible projects as below:
- single-cell calcium dynamics after the cortical spreading depress model. You may need some ODE and some coding knowledge.
- Signal and data analysis. We will have some data (including digital signal and images or others) to do the classification and prediction.
- We could learn to solve the diffusion-transport equation on a curved surface and try to code it. You need some PDE and some differential geometry knowledge.