Note – This site is not currently being updated. Please check back soon for more information about future Copyright Consultants offerings.
Duke University Copyright Guidance
- Duke Faculty Handbook, IP Policy (Appendix P)
- Duke Scholarworks Copyright FAQs
- Scholarly Communications @Duke Blog
Public Domain Determinations
- Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United States Table
- Copyright Expiration Flowchart, Sunstein, Kann, Murphy & Timbers, LLP
- Is it in the Public Domain? Flowchart and Handbook, from the UC Berkeley Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic
- OutofCopyright.eu Copyright Calculator
- British Library Copyright Flowchart
- Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Academic Research Libraries
- Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use of Collections Containing Orphan Works for Libraries, Archives & Other Memory Institutions
- Other Fair Use Best Practices
- Stanford Copyright & Fair Use
General Copyright Law Guides and Online Training
- UNC Libraries P2P Copyright Network Training Dashboard
- Copyright for Educators and Librarians Coursera MOOC
- Harvard University Berkman Center Course on Copyright for Librarians
- Copyright Basics Research Guide, University of Michigan Library
- Copyright and Fair Use, Stanford University Libraries
Copyright for Librarians Course Materials
All Duke Libraries Copyright Consultants have taken an extensive copyright training course. This course gives an intense, in-depth exploration of copyright issues for libraries, archives, and higher education. It covers everything from first principles of copyright law to technical, modern adaptations for specific online situations. Course materials (slides, handouts, in-class problems) are linked here.
The Duke Libraries Copyright Consultants program is sponsored by the Duke University Libraries Office of Copyright and Scholarly Communication. The basic idea for the program draws on the great work done by the creators of the Harvard Library Copyright First Responders program and the UNC Chapel Hill Libraries P2P Copyright Network.