Podcast: “Uncrewed (drone) and Autonomous Warfare” (and more!)

On September 27th I was truly honored to participate in the 8th Great Power Competition Conference conducted by Global and National Security Institute (GNSI) at the University of South Florida (USF).  Presented in partnership with the USF College of Arts and Sciences, the United States Central Command (USCENTCOM) and the Near East South Asia (NESA) Center for Strategic Studies, the conference was entitled “The Future and Ethics of Uncrewed and Autonomous Warfare.” 

While there I was asked to participate in GNSI’s Speaker Series and I was pleased to sit with Jim Cardosa for a discussion about the conference topics.  I shared some thoughts about the development of uncrewed [“drone”] aircraft and also discussed the challenges of autonomous weaponry and, particularly, generative AI.

I also expressed my concerns regarding the Pentagon’s new Civilian Harm Mitigation Response-Action Plan, and how it could frustrate mission accomplishment and even put civilians in more jeopardy than is necessary.  I even offered some suggestions for young lawyers interested in this burgeoning area of the law.

Because there aren’t any graphics, this is one you won’t miss anything if you just do the audio.  Anyway, to listen to (or watch) the podcast click here.

You may also like...