This document walks you through the steps of creating a Twitter application so that you can access Twitter API from your code. If you have done this before, feel free to use the keys for an existing application of yours—simply take note of the four needed string values described at the end of this document.
- Make a Twitter account if you do not have one.
- Go to https://apps.twitter.com/. Sign in if needed. Click “Create New App”.
- Fill in the required fields. You can call the app anything you want, e.g., “CompSci 290.01 Spring 2014”. For the website, feel free to use the course website URL. Leave the callback URL field blank.
- Once your app has been created, you should be looking at its “Details” tab. (If for some reason you didn’t get this view, simply go to https://apps.twitter.com/ and click on your app.) One of the tabs (besides “Details”) will be “API Keys”. Click on that.
- The first section under the “API keys” tab will be “Application settings”. Note the values for “API key” and “API secret“. You will need to copy and paste them into appropriate places in your code or key file (see instructions for the assignment).
- The second section under the “API keys” tab will be “Your access token”. Click to generate your access token. Once it has been created (you may have to refresh the page afterwards), you should note the values for “Access token” and “Access token secret“. Again, you will need to copy and paste them into appropriate places in your code or key file (see instructions for the assignment).