Huqoq

Huqoq is an ancient Jewish village located approximately three miles west of Capernaum and Migdal (Magdala) in Israel’s Lower Galilee. A consortium of universities, led by Dr. Jodi Magness of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, has completed four seasons of excavations. The fourth season of excavation has revealed further portions of a mosaic floor that decorated a Late Roman – Byzantine (fifth century C.E.) synagogue.  The mosaics uncovered in 2014 include the first non-biblical story ever discovered decorating an ancient synagogue: a scene that might depict the legendary meeting between Alexander the Great and the Jewish high priest.  In addition to discoveries in the synagogue, work continued in domestic structures in the ancient village, and in the modern village overlying the synagogue. Together, the synagogue and ancient village offer valuable insight into our understanding of a Galilean Jewish community.

Read more about the Huqoq excavation project

One Comment

1. blogging Thanks for the helpful post! I would never have discovered this on my own!

Thanks for the helpful post! I would never have discovered this on my own!