Lab Members

We are a multicultural and diverse team. Liton Lab believes that differences make us unique.  The Liton Lab celebrates diversity and is fully committed  to nurture a supportive and inclusive environment for everyone regardless of people’s race, ethnicity, language, disability, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomical status or religion. 

PALOMA LITON, PhD
(she, her, hers)

ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR IN OPTHALOMOLOGY AND PATHOLOGY

A  native from Spain, I obtained my PhD in Cellular and Molecular Biology at the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (Spain). I first joined Duke as a Postdoctoral Fellow, and later on as a faculty member in the Departments of Ophthalmology & Pathology.   In my free time, I enjoy looking at the sky and capturing what the eye cannot see (@columba_astro).

MYOUNG SUP SHIM, PhD

RESEARCH SCIENTIST

I received my Ph.D. in Molecular biology and Genetics from Seoul National University, Korea. After a postdoctoral fellowship at UC, San Diego, I joined Liton Lab as a Research Associate to continue my work in glaucoma research.  I work in autophagy and mechanical forces. Outside the lab, I started to raise small fish called Guppy at home. I love to breed them and observe their behavior.

KEVIN BETSCH, BS

RESEARCH LAB ANALYST I

II received my bachelor’s degree in Cell & Molecular Biology from Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA back in 2018. I started my scientific career here at Duke isolating umbilical cord blood for stem cell therapies. In 2020, I then transferred to the research setting studying the effects of blood on the homeostasis of the meniscus in Duke’s Orthopedic department. I am currently a RA-I studying the effects of intraocular pressure in regards of glaucoma via pERG and iPerfusion.

CHIEN-CHIA SU, MD

VISITING SCHOLAR

Bio coming soon.

CHIEN-CHIA SU, MD

VISITING SCHOLAR

I received my B.A. in Biology from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. I joined the Liton Lab to gain more experience in research before medical school. Outside of the lab, I love to dance and play the guitar, and watch basketball religiously (Go Lakers!).

PAST MEMBERS

• Jaehyum Sim, Intern
  • Jessica Brinson, Intern
  • Andrea Wilson, BS, Rotating Graduate Student
  • Josh Hirt, RTII
  • Kris Porter, Lab Analyst II
  • Angelina Neiberger, Student
  • Micah Key, Student
  • Ariel Carter, Student
  • Nalathambi Jeyabalan, Postdoc
  • Ping Xu, Postdoc
  • Yizhi Lin, RTII
  • Anamika Goyal, Student
  • Alison Choi, Student
  • Alex Chakra, Student