Synecdoche: Style Embodied

by Kennedy Ware.

In literature a synecdoche refers to when a  part is used to represent the whole. It is my belief that personal style functions as visual synecdoche for our identities. I view getting dressed each day as more than a pragmatic exercise, but rather a chance to decide what we would like to share with the world about ourselves. Often others will use these choices as a heuristic to determine who they believe we are. It is my hope to slightly alter this process, and that this series probes viewers to approach each photo contemplating what the subject wishes to communicate rather than focusing solely on your personal interpretation messages they receive upon first glance.

In this photography project I explore the ways in which and the extent to which personal style conveys one’s unique identity. Focusing solely on black subjects, I hope to disrupt the viewers inclination to limit interpretations of the subject’s style choices to the political, while forcing the viewer to reconcile that personal style is inherently that. As all subjects styled themselves, their only instruction was to include an element that they consider signature to their personal style. I challenge viewers to interrogate each subject as an individual, as well as the messages that each person intentionally and unintentionally conveys based upon their style choices. Ultimately, I hope that this triptych will leave the viewer with the sense of the distinction that is black style as a collective, while privileging the choices and voice of each individual captured.

View Kennedy’s photo book

Visit Kennedy’s portfolio site

1. October 22, 2021

Ultimately, photography is a fashion. Every image is so perfect! I love how consistent they are, and the lighting is amazing! Great job with the info. Thank you

2. December 1, 2021

Good to see fashionable photography. Thanks for this great info.

3. January 24, 2022

Really This Style is Amazing. Thanks for Sharing.

4. March 23, 2022

Your thoughts on this photography project were from a very wise and different point of view. I appreciate your visualization and creativity.

5. January 15, 2023

Thanks for sharing. Great content. This is a very helpful post. Carry on best wishes

6. March 25, 2023

Wow, pretty cool tips. I really appreciate your post. I definitely visit this blog again

7. June 19, 2023

Really This is Amazing. thanks for your information . Carry on

8. June 19, 2023

9. July 13, 2023

Very informative post.Thanks for sharing. It’s wonderful to witness the captivating world of fashionable photography. We appreciate you providing us with this valuable information.

10. July 27, 2023

It’s really nice to read and very informative. So much thanks for the sharing. I was looking for that and this is very important for me. Thanks!

11. July 31, 2023

Thanks for Sharing .very informative and creative post. I am waiting for your next post Carry on

12. August 23, 2023

This is a very insightful and thought-provoking article! It’s fascinating to consider the relationship between synecdoche and style, and how our bodies can be used as a tool for self-expression and communication. The examples provided, such as the “power pose,” really demonstrate the power of body language and how it can impact our perception and the perceptions of others. Overall, great job on this piece!

13. October 31, 2023

I agree with you, Joanna. You said right “Professional product photography is challenging and requires advanced skills.”

14. November 6, 2023

This is such a thought-provoking project! I love how you explore personal style as a representation of identity. Your focus on black subjects challenges viewers to see beyond stereotypes and appreciate the uniqueness of each individual. What inspired you to undertake this project? How do you hope it will contribute to a broader understanding of black style while honoring each person’s choices and voice?

15. November 25, 2023

Thanks for the informative post. A simple thanks is not enough for these valuable resources.

16. April 7, 2024

Very helpful and informative article. I think this article will help me a lot.

17. April 7, 2024

It’s a pleasure to read and incredibly informative. Thank you so much for sharing. This is exactly what I was looking for, and it holds great importance for me. Thanks a lot!

18. May 8, 2024

Very Helpful post and very informative. So much thanks for the sharing. I am waiting for your next post

19. May 9, 2024

Thank you for your awesome blog. This is very nice and informative blog.

20. August 25, 2024

What a wonderful post .Nice blog! I read this blog carefully and learned many of this from this blog

21. August 25, 2024

Thanks for Sharing . Very well and a nice informative post. waiting for your next post

22. August 26, 2024

Thanks for sharing! The exploration of “Synecdoche” style in embodied art is fascinating. For enhancing product visuals, check out Ghost Mannequin services.