Social Media: A Modern Day Cultural Artifact

Rezilience Williamson completed an 8-week internship with the Pauli Murray Center. They engaged viewers with social media campaigns and learned how to interpret social media analytics.

Ask me a question about this poster! Please send me an email.

2 thoughts on “Social Media: A Modern Day Cultural Artifact”

1. Rezilience, I think this was a really captivating project, especially given the salience of social media during the pandemic because of reduced opportunities to engage with and share information with others through different formats. I was wondering if there were results as to how content might be tailored to fit different media formats, with acknowledgment of how user demographics vary across platform, and what sorts of posts glean more interactions through say Facebook, as opposed to Instagram, if there even exists a difference?

2. I love that you were able to uplift the legacy of Pauli Murray! As an activist for civil rights and women’s rights, as well as being a pioneer for bringing greater awareness to race, gender and sexuality issues, I find it inspiring that you were able to create effective posts that shared Murray’s values with the online community. For me, Murray challenged what it meant to integrate our identities (race, gender, background) in a manner that enhances our sense of belonging, all while criticizing current societal structures that prevent us from doing so. In the future, I hope interns can further explore the meaning of “belonging” and “identity” through Pauli Murray’s work and legacy. I also wonder how the Pauli Murray Center might be able to expand their reach to people beyond their followers? Speaking to current events definitely encourages engagement, but channeling this through demographics (curation for college students vs. working adults) could be effective.