Bill-Making Process: Driver’s Licenses for Undocumented Immigrants

Esperanza Hernandez completed a 12-week internship at the San Antonio Regional Office of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund. She supported the legislative attorney in researching bill language for a potential Texas bill that would grant undocumented immigrants legal driving privileges.

Ask me a question about this poster! Please send me an email.

2 thoughts on “Bill-Making Process: Driver’s Licenses for Undocumented Immigrants”

1. Super interesting presentation, Esperanza! It’s always interesting to see how the careful wording of bills can really make or break it. I’m now curious what the battle for a similar bill looks like in our home state of North Carolina, where less than twenty years ago these same undocumented immigrants were able to get driver’s licenses.

1. Thank you, Horacio! I’m also curious to know more about how repealing driver’s licenses for undocumented immigrants looked like from a legislative perspective. It would be interesting to see what similar bills have passed through the NC legislature and why they’ve failed.