The NC Medical Student Symposium on Interventional Radiology, jointly sponsored by Duke University School of Medicine, UNC Chapel Hill School of Medicine, Wake Forest University Bowman Gray School of Medicine, ECU School of Medicine, and Charlotte Radiology was created to provide a high-yield source of information for medical students considering a career in interventional radiology. Whether you you are convinced IR is your future or have never heard of IR, this symposium will provide a wealth of information on IR:
- Expert interventional radiologists will provide an overview of the broad spectrum of pathologies commonly treated in IR as well as the cutting-edge image-guided techniques currently used in IR
- A panel of IR residency program directors and residents will provide invaluable information on the new combined IR residency pathways with Q & A sessions.
- Hand-on stations for students to try a wide variety of the most current percutaneous minimally invasive devices.
- A social networking event for students to mingle with interventional radiologists and IR residents.
Registration is FREE for medical students! To register, please click HERE.
The event will start with lunch at 11:30AM, and end at 6pm with the networking event at The Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club, 3001 Cameron Blvd, Durham, NC 27705.
12:10-12:30 The History of Interventional radiology (Tony Smith MD)
12:30-2:00 Minimally Invasive Image-Guided procedures: what does an interventional radiologist do?
- Trauma / emergency interventions (Jon Martin MD)
- Peripheral arterial disease (Mark Lessne MD)
- Interventional oncology (David Mauro MD)
- PE/DVT (Mike Miller MD)
- Womens interventions (Waly Pabon-Ramos MD)
- Stroke (Tony Smith MD)
- Lymphatic interventions (Trevor Downing MD)
- Dialysis access interventions (Peter Bream MD)
2:00-2:30 The Future of Interventional Radiology
- Innovation in IR (Jessie Stewart MD)
- Turf battles – do they matter? (Charles Kim MD)
- Life after training (Michael Berry MD)
2:30 – 3:00 Break
3:00 – 4:00 The Interventional Radiology residency
- The integrated IR residency (Paul Suhocki/Bob Dixon/Kevin Dickey/Peter Bream)
- Alternative IR training pathways (Paul Suhocki/Bob Dixon/Kevin Dickey/Peter Bream)
- Application process by an IR resident panel (IR residents)
- How to be a strong IR applicant (Paul Suhocki/Bob Dixon/Kevin Dickey/Peter Bream)
- Q/A session panel (all above)
4:00 -5:30 Hands on sessions with vendors, devices, and simulation stations (with hor d’oeuvres and beverages)
Michael Berry MD (ECU)
Peter Bream MD (UNC)
Kevin Dickey MD (Wake Forest)
Bob Dixon MD (UNC)
Trevor Downing MD (Wake Forest)
Mark Lessne MD (Charlotte Radiology)
Jon Martin MD (Duke)
David Mauro MD (UNC)
Mike Miller MD (Wake Forest)
Waly Pabon-Ramos MD (Duke)
James Ronald MD PhD (Duke)
Tony Smith MD (Duke)
Jessie Stewart MD (UNC)
Paul Suhocki MD (Duke)
For more information, contact Jonathan Martin MD at firstname.lastname@example.org.