Grace Baucom

Hi! I’m Grace. I graduated from NC State in May, where I majored in Extension Education and Agroecology & Sustainable Food Systems and had minors in Environmental Education, Spanish, and Parks & Recreation. I’m excited to dive into topics including community sustainability, education, communication, program evaluation, and social-emotional human development as a GLS student, and see where they lead me! Right now, I’m particularly interested in the emerging discipline of trauma-informed practice in nonformal (nature-based, early childhood, art, vocational) education spaces as a tool for community resilience and mental wellness. In the past, I have really enjoyed projects that involve curriculum development, writing, and evaluation, and I see my future career involving those activities. I live with my family (and our dog, cat, guinea pig, chickens, goats, honeybees, and our latest foster pup!) on a small homestead outside of Chapel Hill. On Saturdays, you can find me working at the Eno River Farmers’ Market selling cheese and meat for our neighboring dairy farm, a job for which I had to learn to back a refrigerated truck with no rearview mirror into a tight parking space…I cannot overstate the scale of this accomplishment for me 🙂 In my free time, I love being outdoors (camping! paddling! walking!), crafting and painting, thrift shopping, listening to podcasts, and volunteering (aka playing with kittens!) at my local animal rescue.

Preferred Name: Grace

Please share the title of a book you’ve recently enjoyed and would recommend to your GLS colleagues.
    I Was Told There’d Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

What movie or television show that you watched recently would you recommend to the rest of us?
    Animals With Cameras 🙂

We’re going to make a GLS 2022 playlist on Spotify. Please recommend a song to include that speaks to how YOU feel as you embark on this new learning journey. It could be something that you’re listening to a lot now or a longtime favorite that captures the moment for you.
    FREEDOM by Jon Batiste

Coming to the Duke GLS program, I hope to explore without bounds; build meaningful connections; embrace my glow.