Anastasia Kozlova

I received my BA/MS in Integrated Communications from the Higher School of Economics (Moscow, Russia). I worked in public relations for almost nine years, first as a consultant and then as an in-house expert. I started my career with several transportation industry internships and entered the Moscow branch of the famous PR firm Ketchum. I was responsible for consulting various global healthcare, aviation, and tech brands on their public relations strategy and media presence in Russia. Later, I joined the in-house communication team for the local tech giant to represent music, podcasts, and video streaming services worldwide across the Russian-speaking community. My last public relations job was guiding communications for corporate startups focusing on the gig economy and handling daily chores. I moved to the US in 2021 for family reasons with the thought of returning to school. My main research interest is pop culture: cult and weird cinema, midnight movie practices, and the disturbing in culture. One of the most intriguing things for me is encountering social insecurities, fears, and widespread misconceptions through their portrayal in culture in the broader context of places’ history and human experiences. In my undergrad, I deeply researched consumption theory, automobile culture, and its declaration in car advertising. As a recent immigrant, I became fascinated by how Americans see the outdoors, preserve nature, and educate themselves about the environment. I am happy to discover all kinds of the American experience from my immigrant standpoint while bonded to the contemporary Russian culture.

Preferred Name: Anastasia

Please share the title of a book you’ve recently enjoyed and would recommend to your GLS colleagues.
    The Lonely City by Olivia Laing

What movie or television show that you watched recently would you recommend to the rest of us?
    American Horror Story, Call the Midwife

We’re going to make a GLS 2022 playlist on Spotify. Please recommend a song to include that speaks to how YOU feel as you embark on this new learning journey. It could be something that you’re listening to a lot now or a longtime favorite that captures the moment for you.
    Take It As It Comes by The Doors

Coming to the Duke GLS program, I hope to develop a systematic approach to my various interests and see if I am capable of a Ph.D.