Sam Hummel

I believe that it is within the capability of the human species to secure basic well-being for everyone within my lifetime. That said, I recognize that there are formidable forces against that happening. While the odds may be long, I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to do work that pushes in that direction, which is a privilege in itself. I’ve worked on building sustainability movements within higher education and the procurement profession. I’ve also worked on an organic farm and for a renewable energy company. Today, I work for a new think tank focused on transforming national monetary systems into a force for good. My graduate school research looks at the influence of various monetary system designs on sustainability and social equity – within and between nations.

Preferred Name: Sam

Please share the title of a book you’ve recently enjoyed and would recommend to your GLS colleagues.
    Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist by Kate Raworth

What movie or television show that you watched recently would you recommend to the rest of us? Any documentary on PBS

Coming to the Duke GLS program, I hope to connect with incredible scholars doing ground-breaking teaching and research!

We’re going to make a GLS 2022 playlist on Spotify. Please recommend a song to include that speaks to how YOU feel as you embark on this new learning journey. It could be something that you’re listening to a lot now or a longtime favorite that captures the moment for you.
    Aloha Ke Akua by Nahko & Medicine for the People