Xike Zhao

Hi! I am Xike. I graduated from Mount Holyoke College with a Gender Studies major and Asia Studies minor this May. I am interested in exploring topics related to East Asia pop culture, subculture, and gender. The GLS program’s highly flexible nature of course selection and independent research makes it a well-suited choice for me to join. I wish that during my time in the GLS program, I could have learned about fields that I didn’t have the opportunity to explore in my undergraduate and taken more classes relevant to my research interests. Outside classes, I enjoyed horseback riding a lot. I have been on the Varsity Hunt Seat Equestrian Team since my freshman year. I am also very passionate about cooking, video games, and anime.

Preferred Name: Xike

Please share the title of a book you’ve recently enjoyed and would recommend to your GLS colleagues. That’s Not What I Meant! by Deborah Tannen

What movie or television show that you watched recently would you recommend to the rest of us? MasterChef Junior

Coming to the Duke GLS program, I hope to engage in more conversations.

We’re going to make a GLS 2022 playlist on Spotify. Please recommend a song to include that speaks to how YOU feel as you embark on this new learning journey. It could be something that you’re listening to a lot now or a longtime favorite that captures the moment for you. What Was I Made For? by Billie Eilish