A collaboration between Duke International House (IHouse), Office of Global Affairs (OGA), and Career Center, the Duke Global Fellows Program is an experiential learning and leadership program that develops students’ global competency and prepare them to be true global citizens who make positive impacts around them. The students in the program also serve as the “face” of Duke’s student population to visiting international scholars and guests.
The program can help you develop a global skill set with on-campus training and networking. No travel required!
This program is open to all Duke undergraduate students who will be enrolled in the academic year when the program is offered.
Through the program, selected students will:
- Deepen their leadership and global social skills by interacting with people from various countries, helping them understand American culture and social structures and organizing global-themed events for the Duke community.
- Increase their knowledge of other cultures and social organizations, preferably including other languages as well.
- Understand and adopt pluralism in their life – recognizing different perspectives arising from various cultural backgrounds, which can be especially valuable when applied to their future professional and personal relationships.
- Gain professional communication and writing skills through training, intercultural reflections and written communications, such as a news article or an op-ed.
- Demonstrate their ability to abide by strong work ethics through the program’s required one-year commitment with a four-hour per week volunteer schedule.
- Strengthen their résumé with a strong service and civic/global engagement component, demonstrated by the Duke Global Fellows certificate.
The program is perfect for you, if you:
- Are open-minded to other cultures and willing to learn from interacting with international students and scholars.
- Would like to prepare yourself before studying away through DukeEngage or Global Education Office programs.
- Want to continue your global experience and keep the foreign language skills you have obtained abroad.
- Enjoy cultural diversity and are seeking opportunities for global engagement within Duke and Durham.
Contact Hal Matthews at firstname.lastname@example.org.