The portfolio requirement is a digital collection of work and reflections that together showcase students’ learning experiences and accomplishments. It serves two purposes:
- Career advancement – complements their resume and provides students with an externally-facing showcase of their skills and experience
- Reflective Learning—facilitates transformational learning, prompting students to connect their learning to their core values, future goals and personal identities.
Students have two options for completing the portfolio requirement for the certificate. The goal is to provide students with flexibility to create something that will fit their individual needs while encouraging reflection of their time in the I&E Certificate, their time at Duke, and their goals after graduation.
Option 1: Digital Portfolio
- This option requires students to create a document which they can model after this example:
- The purpose of creating this document is to focus on core learning reflections and experiences
Option 2: Personal Website
- There should be a page for each course and experience, but the format is entirely up to each individual student. We love to see creativity!
- Students can use this site as a template for what is required. The above links include questions to guide the reflection process
- We encourage students to include additional pages for other projects and courses they complete outside of the I&E Certificate
- Students are welcome to use their own broader personal website to fulfill this requirement, as long as it includes an additional section for I&E
- Students who create personal websites that exceed expectations:
- Your website will be distributed via the I&E newsletter and on the I&E website for alumni, faculty, staff and students to view
- You will be invited to breakfast or lunch with I&E faculty staff (as Duke policies permit)
- You will receive recognition at I&E Certificate graduation ceremony
When you are ready to submit your portfolio to receive a capstone permission number, you can do so here.