Our laboratory aims to understand the molecular and cellular mechanisms of ion and lipid transport across cell membranes and their impacts on health and treatment of disease. We currently focus on calcium-activated ion channels and calcium-activated lipid scramblases, including but not limited to the TMEM16 protein family.
What We’re Asking
- How are ions and lipids transported through cell membranes?
- How does calcium signaling control ion and lipid transport?
- What are the cellular functions of ion and lipid transport?
- How do ion and lipid transport proteins contribute to physiology and pathology?
- Can we target ion and lipid transport proteins to treat related diseases?
What We’ve Discovered
Our Techniques and Approaches
- in vitro and in vivo electrophysiology
- in vitro and in vivo optical imaging
- Mouse models
- Behavioral physiology
- Biochemistry and biophysics