2022-2023 Board

Choiselle Marius
Co-President

Choiselle is a second-year cell and molecular biology PhD student in the lab of Dr. Ben Alman. She is currently studying the role of specific macrophage populations in fracture repair and bone regeneration. In her free time, Choiselle enjoys crocheting, working out, and going to various eateries with friends!

Anvita Kulshrestha
Co-President

I am a PhD student in the Genetics & Genomics program at the School of Medicine. I am interested in studying complex disease genetics through computational approaches. In my free time, you would usually find me making mandala art, doing calligraphy or hanging out with friends.

Kruti Desai
Treasurer

I am pursuing MS BME with specialization in medical device design. I am also working in Photoacoustic Imaging lab, my project is about temperature sensing in photoacoustic imaging. In my free time I like to read and watch movies. I enjoy walking, especially in nature. Beaches and pizza are my favorite things.

Emily Engeman
Social Media Chair

Emily is a third-year PhD student in the Molecular Genetics and Microbiology Program, studying immunotherapy for skin infections and neutrophil heterogeneity in the Abraham lab. For fun, she enjoys watching football (Go Pats!), dancing, hiking, and finding the best crab rangoons in the triangle.

Isabel Kenny
Communications Director

Isabel is a sixth-year PhD student in the University Program of Genetics and Genomics, studying the role of mitochondria during cell invasion of basement membranes in the Sherwood lab. Isabel obtained her BS at UNC – Chapel Hill in 2015. She enjoys running, making art, and exploring Durham in her spare time.

Madeline Merriman
Outreach Co-Coordinator

Madeline is a second year PhD student in the Chemistry Department where she studies the effects and properties of metal-binding prodrugs and in fungal pathogens. Outside the lab, she enjoys hiking, creative writing, and hanging out with her three-legged cat Kitty.

Chloe Markey
Outreach Co-Coordinator 

Chloe Markey is a first-year biomedical engineering PhD student in Dr. Daniel Reker’s lab. Her research involves developing machine learning models to predict drug metabolism. She is a graduate of the University of Michigan and is still an avid fan of Michigan football and basketball. Outside the lab, she spends much of her free time running and exploring the Durham food scene with friends.

Nicole Zimmer
Social Chair

Nicole is a 3rd year Biomedical Engineering PhD student. She works in Dr. Lou DeFrate’s Musculoskeletal Bioengineering Lab and is researching spine biomechanics utilizing medical imaging and solid modeling techniques. She also has interests in medical device design and is in the Duke Design Health Program. In her free time, she enjoys lifting weights, playing lacrosse, playing soccer, and spending time at the beach or pool.

Dr. Jennifer Ingram
Faculty Advisor

Dr. Ingram is an Assistant Research Professor at Duke University in the Duke Asthma, Allergy, and Airway Center. Her work focuses on understanding the molecular pathways that lead to airway remodeling in asthma. She grew up in Princeton, North Carolina and she earned her B.S. and Ph.D. from North Carolina State University.