According to paperwork found in the Nepalese embassy in Doha, at least 44 workers died between 4 June and 8 August. More than half collapsed dead from heart attacks, heart failure or “workplace accidents.”
The investigation has found:
• Evidence of forced labour on a huge World Cup infrastructure project.
• Most workers have not been paid for months and therefore cannot flee at the risk of starving.
• Some workers are being blackmailed by there employers through confiscation of passports and refusal to issue ID cards, leaving them as illegal aliens with no rights in Qatar.
• Some Nepalese workers claim that they did not have the right to drink water in over 100 degree heat.
• 30 Nepalese workers have escaped the brutal conditions of there immigrant camps, and found refuge in the Nepalese embassy.