World Cups 2006 and 2010

By | November 30, 2009

Since we will be talking about the upcoming World Cup in South Africa this week I thought it was an appropriate time to write a post about my experience at the 2006 Cup and my plans for 2010…

I was lucky enough to get to attend the Portugal vs. Iran game in the group stage of the 2006 World Cup.  I’m attaching a picture from that game, you can see how passionate the Iranian fans were.  I also have a video of Cristiano Ronaldo scoring on a penalty kick, you can watch it on youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmujrA7R2fU.  As you can see from the video, my friends and I were out-of-our-minds excited to be at the game.  We spent a whole month in Germany watching games at the FanFests, learning German culture, talking football twenty four hours a day, and playing pick-up games on the street with people from every continent.  I’m attaching another picture that I took on the street in downtown Munich after Germany won their round of 16 match against Sweden.  It was an amazing experience, and we all promised to go to at least part of every World Cup for the rest of our lives.  That being the case, last summer I bought tickets to match 45 in South Africa (G1 vs. G4).  No idea who is going to be playing, but it’s going to be awesome whoever it is.  If I can find the money I’m hoping to buy tickets to a few more matches, but the main thing I’m excited for is experiencing the atmosphere at the 2010 Cup.  My experience in Germany was phenomenal – people from all over the world connecting and finding kinship in their shared passion for the beautiful game.  Does anyone else has plans to go the 2010 Cup?  If you’re thinking about going, just take the plunge and buy a match ticket or two through the Fifa website, you won’t regret it….

After a German victory in the semifinalsThe passion of the Iranian fans