Organizations and Activities

This category covers work that might be considered “service” though many of my projects bridge the gaps between teaching/research/service as they are collaborative, multimodal, inter-related, and highly interdisciplinary. As the Program Director for Information Science + Information Studies I organize curriculum and events, as well as coordinate the undergraduate and graduate Certificates.

As a member of various interdisciplnary “labs” I have tried to help create broader conversations around how to do “work” in the humanities.  I codirected the FHI GreaterThanGames: Transmedia Applications, Virtual Worlds and Digital Storytelling Lab from 2011-013 in an effort to think about how critical media studies could influence various forms of academic practice. I was also a faculty affiliate with the Haiti Lab and the BorderWorks Lab, where I taught workshops and co-created projects related to digital mapping and virtual worlds around regions and topics IRL. I’ve also served on various committees around campus relating to digitally-inflected teaching and research. I’m now actively involved in the Wired! Lab for Visualizing the Past, where we just launched a new MA in Historical and Cultural Visualization.

Probably my biggest non-Duke involvement is with SIGGRAPH, the Association for Computing Machinery’s Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques. I have also been involved in the Triangle Collaborations: Humanities, Arts, and Technology (CHAT) Festival planning for 2010, and organized the CHAT Festival 2012 at Duke.

ACM SIGGRAPH Activities

CHAT Festivals

Other Activities