Join the Visualizing Cities Lab as a Fellow for Spring 2022!
DEADLINE JANUARY 11th – NOTIFICATION JANUARY 14th
FIRST (VIRTUAL) MEETING TUESDAY, January 18th, 5-6PM
VCL is a group of faculty, students, and staff—art historians, visual artists, and digital humanists—working to develop a common and dynamic approach to studying world cities. VCL is a new initiative in the Department of Art, Art History & Visual studies funded by the Mellon Humanities Unbounded Grant that offers the opportunity to transform our curriculum and address equality and social justice directly as outlined in the department’s published “Statement in Support of Black Lives.”
Join us to collaborate on imagining new pedagogies and methodologies for analyzing the culture and history of cities across the world and through time. Apply these methods to projects as we work in thematically focused research groups. Learn to teach and mentor undergraduate students, as well as organize and lead a workshop. Take part in stimulating conversations, workshops, and other collaborative activities with co-conveners, fellows, students, faculty participants, and lab guests.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Graduate students in Art, Art History & Visual Studies and any other Duke department.
- Anyone interested in learning and applying collaborative methodologies, mentoring undergraduates, and participating in thematically defined research groups.
- Anyone willing to participate actively, and apply collaborative research methods to an ongoing project (research paper, conference paper, dissertation chapter, etc.)
- Past fellows are also eligible to re-apply. Past fellows should include in the cover letter what they have gained from the VCL experience so far and specifically what they hope to work on with the team next semester.
HOW TO APPLY
- Send a short C.V. and one-page Cover Letter explaining your interest in (a) teaching and mentoring; (b) working in collaborative environments with undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty in a broad thematically defined area; and (c) a description of your current research. Please limit letter to 250 words.
- Send to: Visualizing Cities <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Deadline: January 11th, 12:00 Noon (notification January 14th, 12:00 Noon)
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- A fellowship stipend of $500
- Participation in the planning process of VCL as a core contributor to the Lab’s organization and implementation for the next two years
- Collaboration experience with lab participants, research fellows, faculty participants
- Teaching and mentoring experience with undergraduates
WHAT ARE FELLOWS’ RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend weekly VCL meetings (Tuesdays from 5:00-6:00pm; in-person or virtually through Zoom, as needed) on research, mentoring, and workshop organization (through the end of spring semester 2022)
- Lead at least one group discussion through Zoom with undergraduate partners
- Mentor undergraduate fellows
- Write one 500-word blog for VCL website